AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Change automatic payments to manual payments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a newbie...I see that my adwords is set to automatically withdraw payments and I don't want it to do that. I would like to manually prepay so I don't get myself in trouble but when I try to change it I get "an error has occurred" 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Change automatic payments to manual payments

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome:

I don't think you can switch between payment methods. (From post payment to pre-payment and vice versa.) If you want to do that, you'll have to close the account and open a new one.

However, BEFORE you do that, please note that most advertisers use "automatic payment". In the long run, this is a more convenient method of payment. If you want to limit your budget, do it by setting a limit of the campaign budget . You will NOT be charged a single dollar above your monthly budget.

Read more:

Can I switch my payment option after setting up my account?

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34103

Set a budget for your campaign

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375420

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have made my daily budget $5 just to start and learn but I don't see anywhere to set a monthly or a campaign budget so what's going to stop adwords from just automatically charging me

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

"With AdWords, you choose a daily budget for each campaign based on your advertising goals and the general amount you're comfortable spending each day. If you're used to working with a monthly advertising budget, you can find your daily budget by dividing your monthly budget by 30.4 – the average number of days per month."

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375420

[Edited]: here is a better reference that explains:

Monthly charging limit

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand about the daily/monthly budget but since payments are set to automatic won't google just keep pulling money out to keep it going? Do I need to manually kill the ad when it reaches what I want to spend? For instance, say I have $200 in my adwords account and I want it to stop running the ad when it uses it all up, when it reaches the limit isn't it just going to automatically draw out more money? How do I set a stop at a predefined amount? Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Yes;

You'll have to stop / pause the campaign, either manually, or by setting an end date.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

To ensure that you don't spend more than $200 (is that on a daily basis?) you can try using automated rules that will pause the campaigns the moment you cross the budget.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yeah an option for manual payments would prevent Googles rampant greed...stop stealing from people

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi jpixels,

Your message was removed by the Community Manager as per the Community Posting Guidelines.

Zee
G+

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nikhil,

Where can I find the automated rules in Adowrds to stop the campaign?