AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Can not change billing details

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have had an adwords account for a number of years.
In the last 4 years, I sold my business, stopped using adwords and migrated to Asia.

Now, I have a new project and wanted to use my adwords account.
While preparing my campaign, I went to add funds to my account and saw that the billing address and card were outdated. I updated the card and address but was shown the following error:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to process your request at this time. Our engineers have been notified of this problem and will work to resolve it. Please note that using your browser's back button in AdWords can increase the likelihood of errors. If you think this was the cause of your error, please try again without using the back button.

I have tried to update these details twice now and both times it fails.

I assume that the problem could be my payment method, billing address and my location. I am based in the Philippines while my card and billing address are in the UK.

If needed, I can transfer funds to the Philippines and put it on my mastercard chargecard which would mean that my payment method, billing address and location would all match. However, I still can not change just my address to my address here in the Philippines.

Any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can not change billing details

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi David,

Thanks for your question. First, I would try to clear your cache and cookies for a significant amount of time. Then I would retry. If that doesn't work, let me know and we can try something else. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Update:

This is weird, but this is what happens when I edit my billing details (card and address)

Firefox
Displays the following error:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to process your request at this time. Our engineers have been notified of this problem and will work to resolve it. Please note that using your browser's back button in AdWords can increase the likelihood of errors. If you think this was the cause of your error, please try again without using the back button.

Internet Explorer
First it takes me to the page that says "Edit Billing Preferences" which firefox does not. I select Card payment, then edit my card details and address.
I click on save and it does not display an error. It takes me to the "Billing Summary" page which firefox did not. However, NONE of the details I entered have been saved. They are all the same old details. I can not make a payment as the card saved is my old card.

If I try to make a payment I get the following error:
We were unable to authorize a payment on your credit card.
Please try to make another payment. If you need to update your payment details before attempting another payment, please visit your Billing Preferences page. Please note that, if your balance hits zero, our system automatically stops showing your ads until you make another payment.

When I visit the Billing Preferences page, I see that all my billing details have not changed.

Why would it be acting like this and not saving any details without giving any error?

Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have exactly the same problem, been going on for 2 days now

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Ok David,

It seems that there is a technical error when entering credit card information. I have asked to be notified when the problem is corrected. When I have an update, I will let you and Daniel know on this thread.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank goodness it wasn't just me! Do you have an ETA on this issue? I had hoped to launch this a few days ago.

My account says I have $5, do I need more for ads to go live?

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

I do not have an ETA at this time but they are working on it. 

As far as the $5 to go live, it just depends on the keywords you are targeting and how much a click costs. If I were you, I would use the keyword planner to figure out keyword prices and then I would see if using up the $5 you have is good in the meantime. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, my limit is set at 1 GBP per day, so in theory the ads should be live.

Any update on the initial issue? Its a bit of a wait to be able to give Google my money.

Thank you

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
No. No updates yet. I will be sure to let you know as soon as I get word.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for your assistance. It is quite annoying that the issue hasnt been fixed in over 11 days. Naturally I want to advertise my new product.
The $5 credit does not seem to do anything. I still get a billing warning and my ads do not seem to be live.
Thank you Shanea