AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Can google adwords use my creditcard for billing without asking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can google adwords use my creditcard for billing campaigns without my permission?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can google adwords use my creditcard for billing without asking?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi simplycolors, it depends on the situation you're describing.  Google can't charge your credit card at all if they don't know the number so at some point you (or someone else) has provided this.  If you're signed up to "Automatic Payments" then Google will charge your card automatically upon the billing thresholds described here:

Automatic Payments

This is not "without your permission" since you have provided your credit card details and chosen the Automatic Payments option.  

If the situation is something different, please give some more details and we'll look into it!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

we are customer 853-138-8585.
We received in December a promotion code to use in campaigns. We started making an advertisement but when we realized we would have to pay €20 we stopped and didn´t go further with the campaign. We work as representatives from Simply Colors Spain, and receive only 25% of each order placed, so we can't have high expenses. We decided not to place the campaign, we wouldn´t pay so it shouldn´t be a problem, we didn't choose any form of payment, the campaign wouldn't be placed online. We would use other forms of advertising.

To our surprise google adwords decided to go and get our credit card number that we had used before, without asking for permission. Not only to take the €20 from there but also make new costs and billing them automatically to that same credit card... So we were shocked to see there was a bill for us from almost €100 for something we didn´t ask. We immediately tried to change this to manual payment, but didn't succeed, because it is not allowed. So we payed what we were supposed to pay, as we were asked, and still couldn't do it. Now we stopped the campaign and are very unhappy about what happened.

We are sure this was an unfortunate accident, we ask for your cooperation resolving this, we would like to have our money back.
Our regards,
--
Rita Santos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Rita,

You wrote, "To our surprise google adwords decided to go and get our credit card number that we had used before, without asking for permission." And, "We immediately tried to change this to manual payment".

This is telling me you had provided credit card information and set up automatic payment. Your permission to bill that card is implied. You may not have intended this, but that is what happened.

I can't speak for Google in terms of a refund, but I think that would be very unlikely to happen.

Sorry about that.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords