AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

CSV export of billing transactions uses unusual negative sign that Excel does not recognize

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I export the Transactions view from Billing & Payments to place data in my accounting system since this includes both the expenses (clicks) and payments.

To export the data, I select the appropriate date range, and click on the download button near the upper right of the on-screen data.

This downloads a CSV file, which Excel opens.

The negative numbers in the "Amount" column are not recognized by Excel as numbers. Such numbers typically appear on the payment records.

The reason for this is that, instead of the "normal" minus sign (Unicode/ANSI 0x2D), the CSV file contains 0x2212 (Unicode "Minus Sign"), and as the file contents are encoded as UTF-8, the actual byte sequence in the file is E2 88 92. Excel does not recognize this as a negative sign, and so the value is treated as text.

To use the data, I have to perform a text replace to put in the 0x2D minus sign, then force the text to (again) be interpreted as numbers.

Altogether this is a pain to do and prevents any automation of this process.

1 Expert replyverified_user

CSV export of billing transactions uses unusual negative sign that Excel does not recognize

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Thank you for posting your work-around.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*