AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

CPC 50% increase in one day??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

owner of a small business from Greece here, with a limited budget. I created a campaign yesterday. My ad was approved fairly quickly (cpc for keywords 0,10). Then I decided to change a bit the text and the cost went to 0,47. I deleted the ad, created a new one, and now the cpc is 1,00 E per keyword! Obviously I cannot afford an advertiser, and I try to make it by myself... Any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPC 50% increase in one day??

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elefteria,

Here is what might happen. Your first ad was performing better with good quality score so Google cpc was lower. Then you change the ad (when an ad got edited and saved it become a new ad with no previous record) might be new ads was not as good as the old one and its quality score was lower than the previous one which resulted in higher cost per click.

This usually happen whenever you edit an ad. The best practice is always run 3-4 ads per ad group and see which performed better. Google will automatically serve the highest performing ad the most. This way your quality score will stay maintained.

The higher your quality score the less you pay to Google. That’s how adwords actually works.
Check this out to get an understanding of quality score effect your ads: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Cheers,
Nouman

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nouman thank you for your reply. Actually my ad ran for 1-2 hours, and then I changed it. That's when cpc rocketed from 0,1 to 0,47. I deleted the ad, created a new with the exactly same text, and then cpc went to 1,00! Should I delete the campaign?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Nouman is correct; Your initial QS is based on the QS of other advertisers for the same KW (in its exact match form). Once you gain enough impressions (in a fast pace or  during a longer time period) your own CTR (for a given keyboard) "kicks in", and your QS changes accordingly.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, I get it. I actually deleted the campaign. Paying 1,00 E per click is simply too expensive for my budget.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elefteria M
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Now if you are going to create a new campaign. Please follow the best practice. Create 3-4 variations of your ads and see which one perform better. Also add ad extensions it will help you increase CTR which will result in higher Quality Score.

Also don't go with broad match keywords, Add broad modifier, phase match and exact match keywords check this link for details: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en (Broad match often provide you irrelevant impressions and clicks which will result in lower quality score)

Cheers,
Nouman