AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

As an agency, how do you charge your own work to your clients?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello to the community! 

I freshly been Google Adwords Certified but I've been managing accounts for different companies for several years. 
Until now, I bill my clients end of the month for the actual time spent managing their campaigns. The amount is never the same but my stats after 2 years show that my personal invoice represents 25-30% of the amount invested in Adwords. 
The money paid for Adwords account is charged separately. 
Smiley Happy However, I intend to increase my number of customer and wish to simplify everything for customers and me.

What method do you usedo you packages price according to the campaigns and options? Do you charge at the end of the month or the beginning? Examples and suggestions would be welcome.
1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil P
September 2015

Re: As an agency, how do you charge your own work to your clients?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Correct. My clients know that the management fee is completely separate from the spend. I don't have a problem telling you my rate -- It's posted all over my site. We charge $500/month for each account. We offer small discounts to other agencies (for overflow work) and for non-profits.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Phil,

If you're working with SMBs I recommend you to watch this video from the Google Turkey AdWords Channel about working with Agencies and the different possible fees structure. I hope this video will be useful for you :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we96x7GFzMM

I hope this video will be useful for you :-)

Cheers,

Asaf

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I think that it's pretty evenly split between charging a % of spend and charging a flat rate. We choose to charge a flat rate for all clients (we charge the same whether they are big or small). It just simplifies the "accounting" and billing process, which isn't much of an interest for me!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Shanee, if you charge a flat rate, How do you make a difference between running a 500$/ month campaign for a small business and a larger company investing 3000$/month on several campaign? You don't spend the same time on each.
Either the big one are paying low price or the small ones paying too much.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You would think... But, honestly, I've found that it's the SMALL accounts that take up more time. For all of our accounts, big or small, we follow the same daily, weekly, monthly process. So, it seems to work out well and average out.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Can I ask you how much you charge? In my area (Quebec, Canada) I charge between 25 and 30% of the amount invest in Google (result of 2 years of working time stats). For a 1000$/month I charge for my works and average of 270$ (month). But never charged a 'opening account' fee.
Actually, I have no idea how much the competition charge. My customers trust me and I only make them pay for the real time working for them.
I guess managing a 10,000$/month would require more adwords possibilities and work but I guess the % could drop.
I read that the most important thing is to clearly separate the google invoice and personal agency invoice so the customers really know what they pay for.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Correct. My clients know that the management fee is completely separate from the spend. I don't have a problem telling you my rate -- It's posted all over my site. We charge $500/month for each account. We offer small discounts to other agencies (for overflow work) and for non-profits.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Phil,

If you're working with SMBs I recommend you to watch this video from the Google Turkey AdWords Channel about working with Agencies and the different possible fees structure. I hope this video will be useful for you :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we96x7GFzMM

I hope this video will be useful for you :-)

Cheers,

Asaf

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Wow! Asaf, Thank you very much. It's exactly what I needed. In your video and Mickey's one (following your presentation) I did get the answers to every single question I had. I spent my morning listening and taking a lot of notes. I'm going to start experimenting my strategy on my actual customers in my area (Quebec, Canada)

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Phil,

Thanks for the update - I'm very glad that it helped you :-)

Good luck,

Asaf