AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Agency paying on the behalf of the client

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I represent an agency that manages AdWords accounts for its clients.

Can I use my Agencies credit card to pay for one of my client's AdWords budget and invoice the client separately? Can I still use that form of payment for my own campaigns?

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Agency paying on the behalf of the client

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi ciops,

Yes you can do this no problem. 

One thing to look out for is that YOU will become respobsible for paying Google. It won't matter if your client doesn't pay you, you will be required to make the payment if there are charges on the account.

Think about charging up front in advance if you go down this path.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As an Agency, another payment option that might suit you better is to go on Invoice with Google.  You will then not have to use your company credit card.  You will receive a consolidated invoice each month, with all of your invididual accounts' spends itemised on a single invoice, from Google with 30 days' payment terms.  To become an Invoice customer with Google, you need to have spent at least 5K per month for at least 3 months previous. 

I agree with 'purefuzz' that you should be careful when paying on behalf of clients.  An idea is to get at least one month's payment up front.  Then you are "1 month ahead" so, if they don't pay, you have a month's grace in which you can resolve the payment issue and/or pause their account without taking a hit. 

Hope help,

JudeSmiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies.

I don't want to pay for my clients, but one of them lacks a valid credit card.

#1 - As they have acces to their individual AdWords account, I don't want to be invoiced accidently more than we agreed.

I might create a separate account for the same client to solve this, but I'm not sure if this is the best practice.

#2 -  I'm afraid that I won't be able to use the same billing info on my own accounts or one of my other client accounts.

This is where the problem started in the first place, their credit card expired and got a new one with the old credit card # but with a new expiration date. Now I get an invalid billing info error.

What's the best practice for this situation?

I appreciate your help,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ciops
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have about 60 client accounts all being billed on one credit card, and have had no issues with being limited to a finite number of accounts allowed to use this card for billing. 

As a best practice, I would contact the Google AdWords Help Line directly with any questions regarding billing errors on specific cards. (866) 246-6453 The AdWords Help Line Team is usually very helpful with most requests. 

Hope this helps,

Tim

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi ciops, I would certainly be a little nervous paying for someone else's Adwords when they have full access to the account - there's nothing to stop them ramping up a huge bill you'd be liable to pay.

You could run their campaigns under your own account - a lot of agencies do this - but it's not something I like to do.

I'd probably say that they have to find a valid form of payment or you're not prepared to support them.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Adding to this old topic for sanity, hope no one minds. 

But in such a case of prepayment, does the agency need to charge tax for that payment? (Ofcourse, funds are separated from professional fees). So, for example, no tax on $500 marketing spend, but charge tax on professional fee $50 professional fee? Or tax on both?

If it helps, I'm based in Ontario, Canada. And we pay HST of 13%. 

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you sort this out? I'm also in Ontario with this exact question! 

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, nope. Met with a few accountants as well and they weren't able to answer this question. Smiley Sad