AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords increased my credit limit and charged me without notification

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I started an Adwords campaign and was told by them that I would have $50-$100 credit limit so I stopped it after I got my third bill in 2 weeks... for a total of about $600.  

1 month later I received a bill for $320. I had already paid about $600 and now they want $320 more? What happened to the $100 limit I was told about? Why wasn't I contacted about the change? Why did I not recieve  an invoice or notification? Why did it take 1 month for me to find out through my bank statement?

How did this happen? I was told I had a limit. I followed what I was told, but I was tricked.

They upped my limit to $500 without any notice. They charged me without any notice.

Its a slick trick they pull. I thought that I had a small limit to the amount I could spend, I thought I was being safe because there was a $100 limit. I thought I had paid all my costs. Way to mislead people  google.

THEY WILL NOT REFUND, THEY WILL NOT LET ME TALK TO A MANAGER.

YET THEY WILL TAKE MY MONEY.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by KathleenG (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adwords increased my credit limit and charged me without notificat

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google set limits to how they bill you. These are not spend limits. They will say, for example, we will bill you each time your account reaches $100 or every 30 days, whichever comes first. If, however, they see that you spend your $100 in three days, they will think (quite rightly - and I'll explain this in a moment) that you need a higher limit  so they will raise to  - in this case - $500.

That's as much as anything so that you can keep your accounting in order. Rather than getting 15 payments of $100, you'll get only 3 of $500 - makes sense for everyone.

So how do they decide how much to charge you? Well, they don't - you do.

When you set up your campaigns you set a daily limit. Google then multiply that by 30.4 to determine the maximum you are willing to spend in a month.

So if you set your daily limit to $25 - then your exposure is $25 x 30.4 = $760

You set that amount, not Google.

Google cannot simply increase your daily limit - but what they can do is streamline your payments so that it makes more sense for everyone.

So Google didn't really "increase your spend limit" you simply spent more than you had intended.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by KathleenG (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adwords increased my credit limit and charged me without notificat

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google set limits to how they bill you. These are not spend limits. They will say, for example, we will bill you each time your account reaches $100 or every 30 days, whichever comes first. If, however, they see that you spend your $100 in three days, they will think (quite rightly - and I'll explain this in a moment) that you need a higher limit  so they will raise to  - in this case - $500.

That's as much as anything so that you can keep your accounting in order. Rather than getting 15 payments of $100, you'll get only 3 of $500 - makes sense for everyone.

So how do they decide how much to charge you? Well, they don't - you do.

When you set up your campaigns you set a daily limit. Google then multiply that by 30.4 to determine the maximum you are willing to spend in a month.

So if you set your daily limit to $25 - then your exposure is $25 x 30.4 = $760

You set that amount, not Google.

Google cannot simply increase your daily limit - but what they can do is streamline your payments so that it makes more sense for everyone.

So Google didn't really "increase your spend limit" you simply spent more than you had intended.