AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords takes $50 from my card every month, how do I stop it?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords charges $50 per month from my card. It's automatic and I really want to stop that. I want to be able to add money when I want to. I've checked out Billing > Billing Settings > Your selections > How you pay, but there's no button to change it from automatic to manual. How can I fix this? Can I atleast delete my card information and let AdWords spend the money that is already there?

I hope everything I'm saying is clear and sorry for grammatical errors

1 Expert replyverified_user

AdWords takes $50 from my card every month, how do I stop it?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Morges,

As long as there is an active campaign set up, you will rack up a balance due. When your account billing threshold is reached... or every thirty days regardless of the threshold... your payment method must be charged. With some accounts, a payment is required every week or every few weeks, but all accounts will be charged at least once every thirty days. 

If you do not want to ads to run, you can simply pause the campaigns and you will see performance drop off in a day or so, and then you will see all performance stop completely. Once that billing cycle ends, the card will be charged one more time to clear the balance due, and then the account goes dormant until you enable campaigns again. You can also click on the gear icon and click on cancel account, which freezes it in a more permanent way, although you can restart it at any time as AdWords accounts do not get deleted. 

Once thing we like to do when setting an account paused is to pause the keywords, ads and campaigns. But simply pausing campaigns will stop activity, which will stop billing once the system catches up and closes out your current billing cycle. 

Kind Regards,

James