AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords promotional codes for existing accounts?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does Google AdWords ever offer promotional codes for existing customers or accounts? 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: is there ever promotion codes for exisiting customers?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

As far as I know, Google, like most companies, has special deals & bonuses to attract new customers only.

A well-managed AdWords campaign is its own reward. Smiley Very Happy  The business you get from your investment in your AdWords account is what really matters, after all, right?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jeremy, further to Theresa's reply, I do think there's a big difference between new advertisers and existing ones in terms of the use, and effect of promotional vouchers.

A new advertiser is often going to be in the situation where they're uncertain if AdWords will be effective for their business and, in particular, whether they can afford to spend on such a gamble.  Vouchers for new advertisers ease that concern by reducing the risk; they still have to spend but they get a "boost" that should allow them to test the system and reach some useful conclusions.

An existing advertiser has presumably already made the conclusion that AdWords is working for them.  You wouldn't still be advertising if it wasn't, right?  So for an existing customer the voucher is effectively just some free cash prize; it's not helping you to advertise or promote your business because you're already doing that.

OK, let's say Google does decide to hand out free cash.  Great, I'm all for that.  So who should receive it, and how much should it be?  Every advertiser?  Probably not; that's one big sum of money we're talking about for any reasonable voucher.  OK, maybe just those that spend more than a certain amount per month - but then that's unfair on the smaller businesses, isn't it?  OK, so only those that spend less than a certain value per month - but then that's not really fair on businesses who've been with AdWords a long time and built their spend up over that time.  How much should it be?  $100?  I've clients that spend that much in an hour - they wouldn't even notice it.  $1000?  For some that would represent months of spend.  A percentage?  Based upon what?  Last month's spend or the month before?  The most you spent in the past 6 months or the least?

I think you get the point.  

Vouchers for new advertisers are a relatively easy proposition (and they're by no means without their own issues).  Vouchers for existing advertisers is a whole other situation and fraught with difficulties.

I'm not saying they won't happen and I'm not saying they shouldn't, I just think it's important to point out that there's a world of difference between the two situations.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I believe it would be beneficial for Google to provide existing customers with vouchers. I have been using Adwords for over 3 years now for my business, however, I'm not sure what daily limits I should set. It seems as though I always meet my daily budget no matter how high I set my limits. I would be more inclined to raise my limits even higher if I had a few extra dollars to play around with to determine the optimal number.

As far as who should receive and how much, that's easy, base on it on the number of dollars you spend annually. How about 5%? Why is it so difficult to come up with a number?

Ken

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmmm...... I beg to differ... My AdWords act hasn't yielded more than a couple unlicensed contractors looking for a deal, the daily calls from solicitors looking to sell me their services.
I suppose we paid for their clicks? Oh yes and the people looking for employment too. Lets just say the net net gain on our investment for the month was -$1200, with $0 return. I have been in business for 10 yrs and have never seen such poorly performing adds.

The small fortune we spent in first 30 days was a disappointment to say the least. Our expectations where much higher. We have scaled back our budget and allocated it elsewhere. If you have anyone that can help us get the results you Claim, I would appreciate a message.

And please don't blame it on our website or our ability to close a deal, because I've already heard it from customer no service from google. I beg to differ !

Michael Potts
Owner North Coast Electrical Services

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would offer coupons to advertisers who are looking to try out new ways to use AdWords. If a coupon was given out to use only on display ads for example a small business who was only using text ads might be compelled to branch out into an area they might see as a risk.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If a guy using promo codes to get free credit. and after that he used to create another account to use another promo code. is it illegal according to google policy?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Arianna B (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Debra (and everyone else!),

Thanks for posting to the AdWords Community about your promotional code question. Jon did a great job at summarizing our promotional codes program, but I will further elaborate as well.

The majority of our promotional codes are for brand new accounts only. We do, however, send out a few promotional offers to existing accounts. These accounts vary from 6 months old to 7 years old. While we cannot promise you will receive a promotional code for your existing AdWords account, you should definitely make sure you're opted into "Special Offers" in your account.

To do so, follow these steps:
1. Sign in to your account at https://adwords.google.com.
2. Click the gear icon in the corner and choose "Account settings."
3. Click the "Notification settings" link along the side of the page.
4. In the "Notification topics" table, find the "Special offers" row and click in the "Email" column to select "Yes."

I'll bring our Marketing team your feedback and hopefully you may receive an offer for your account at some point in the future!

In response to Hameed's question about using a promotional code in one account and then creating another account solely to redeem another promotional code: We highly discourage this behavior and ask that you do not do this. Our policy is one promotional code per customer (http://www.google.com/adwords/coupons/terms.html).

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have follow-up questions. Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Michael, i know this reply is late now, But your reply caught my eye.

I realised adwords could work for some industries and some maybe not and it can also be a gamble on the way you run your campaigns, in my opinion the secret to a successful adwords advertising is optimising your campaigns once a week and see what it is you have done to achieve what you need.

I run a production and voice talent business called voiise.com and for me for example adwords is my only source of income. I work in radio aswell and since adwords i will never advise anyone on radio advertising. My return on investment with google is over 500% no kidding. If i stop my google advertising i won't get a cent in my business (except the existing clients offcourse)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jermy,

I have been spending on adwords for 8 months none stop (about 700$ a month), and i did actually receive a voucher from google recently for 75$ i think it was so i guess yes there is, but i'm sure it can only use on the account they sent you the voucher for.