AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

'Account Under Review? What are the Do's and Don'ts???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I see a lot of posts on the boards about accounts going under review a lot and there does not seem to be a solid answer.  All I see is the canned message  "Your account is currently under review. We periodically review accounts for security purposes and to verify billing information, which takes about 2-3 business days. Your ads won't show during this time period, but they'll automatically be eligible to show again as soon as the review is complete" and "this is completely normal so don't worry".  But I have yet to really find an answer...

Our account might be a little unique because we are using an MCC account and this is our first time using this type of account.  When we first created the account we thought we could not use the same credit card with all our clients so we talked to our bank about refillable pre-paid credit cards and that seemed to be a good solution.  However it does not seem like Google likes the use of those and to be honest neither am I.  It would be a pain making sure the money was in the account and probably an accounting problem moving forward.

We now have a Agency Rep at Google that helps us out on our campaigns which is fantastic and a lot of help!  We found our that we could in fact use the same Credit Card for all of our clients! We went in and changed all the billing accounts to the same corp. Credit Card and all accounts went under review. Which I would think is completely normal and standard procedure considering people can commit a lot of fraud and theft by changing credit cards.

I think the questions that need to be answered is not why they are continously going under review but what should we as advertisers be doing during this process and what should we not be doing during this process.  I have noticed making little changes during the processes throw it back in review...

Question 1)

Concluding the review process does an advertiser receive an email from the Billing team stating "Your ads can now run."?

Question 2)

During the review process can you make any changes to the campaign such as keywords, ads, targeting, networks, schedules, extensions, and so on...  without making the account review a longer process?

Question 3)

Is there any forms of documentation such as proof of address, credit card, and/or business that will help with the review process?

Question 4)

Are there particular changes (minus billing changes) that can send an account back into review?  I would have to assume that a/b testing or changing ads is a very normal practice as well as adding new keywords and removing bad keywords.

Question 5)

During the review process should we pause all rules?

Question 6)

Aside from billing verification does the account go under review for performance issues? When I visit the the customized help section it says that I should change my daily budget, create better quality ads, and consider changes to my campaigns, but nothing about billing.

Question 7)

Can you pause the campaign during review to ensure you have it all setup correctly so it doesn't just turn on and it cost you a lot of money by mistake? or can you pause ad groups, ads, or keywords?

If I missed anything please provide any insight you might have.  I am sure this can help out a lot.

If those questions could be answered I think that would help a lot of people out.  I would assume many advertisers are making mistakes that is just prolonging the process.  I know I did because I was told not to make any changes.

Happy Holidays!

Steve

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 'Account Under Review? What are the Do's and Don'ts???

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Those questions are legit. However the nature of Policy cases is that they are very species and there is no "one answer fits all". Each case should be evaluated on its own.
One point you mentioned: Google does not recommend using the same credit card for all clients, unless you use consolidated billing.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV I understand that they most likely would be going under review because of legitimacy. I would have to believe that about 80% of the people on the forum are not telling the "whole story".

However we do have a Google Account Manager who oversees all of our accounts. We are on the phone with her at least 3 times a week going over everything. The crazy part is she does not have all the answers because of people who abuse the program.

I think we found out our answer why they were going to review so often! We were not aware that we had to link or Google+, website, email, and phone to our Google Partners account. We had almost everything minus our website and Google+ profile. We are in the process of getting that all taken care of though!

The credit card issue is still a huge question. You ready all over the forum that you should not or can not use the same credit card for all clients and to use consolidated billing. But what as a new advertiser my Account Manager told us we need 1 year of Adwords spend/activity and $5000 or $10000 a month for average of 3 months and it does not mean you are going to be approved either. Yet you read on support pages that the business needs to be in business for at least a year and have the average 3 month spend. As well as she says that a lot of her clients use a corp credit card for all their clients. Our Account Manager is an Agency Account Manager too.

So what are you supposed to do? What do you believe?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Indeed, in terms of the Policy Google "keeps the cards close to the chest " (apparently even internally.... Smiley Surprised )

If you do not meet the criteria for "Consolidated billing" - have each client pays for  his account, using the client's credit card.

If one account found in violation of the Policy, and suspended - you could find all other accounts at risk due to the same billing method. I am sure your account manager at Google, doesn't recommend this practice, either.

And a final note: I don't think that accounts are  suspended / reviewed  due to lack of information / links on the Partners portal - the cause should be looked somewhere else... This is my opinion.,,,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV

Skip the billing part because it just confuses me even more on what to do about it.

Although the partner portal was most likely not the reason why our particular ads were being consistently reviewed; After finding more about what a Google Partner is and the true benefits it is something I am glad we looked into and going to continue to build a create that profile with Google.

We had a very "Rookie Mistake" which I am shocked myself, Google, or our Account Manager did not check. Kind of embarrassing but I think it is definitely the reason for the reviews.

We had or Display URL set like Website.Com (caps W and caps C)
and the destination URL would have been http://www.website.com/page

I would assume that the caps W would not be a big deal but the caps C in com might have been an issue. We corrected that and everything seems to be running perfect now.

You live and learn... lol...

I need to definitely get on those training coarse in the partner portal because there is a lot of good information in there that I probably do not even know.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Steve;

I respectfully disagree. URL "format" which does not follow the editorial guidelines result in ads being disapproved - NOT an account under review. (Unless in  rare cases...)
I still think that the issue here is billing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google has openly admitted they aim to frustrate and annoy bad actors into giving up.  They've said this about SEO/spam, but I'm certain it applies across the board.

So for some reason, you were tagged as a potential bad actor.  Your internal score was probably too low for whatever reason.  That's the real reason accounts get reviewed.  

So yes, making minor changes like beefing up your profile with google, could raise your score.  But truth is, they probably value most time the account has been open, and types of products being advertised.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.