AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

ADWords is a SCAM - DO NOT USE IT!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So, today I decided to setup and ad-words campaign and closely monitor it. So today, I have had a bunch of clicks 14 to be exact. I set my budget low. I created a timer because I don't trust googles. What I found out... Not only was I getting clicks but users were not even staying on the site for longer than 6 seconds. All of them came from Android OS's. I have not received one call or one inquiry. Unless you want to give google you money for no reason I would suggest using ADWords. If you're like me, a small startup and have not a lot of money I would advise to not use this service. Google adwords is JOKE! It's fraud. This is why google was sued and lost but they keep doing it.

Lawsuit 2006: https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/news/2059444/google-agrees-to-usd90-million-settlement-in-class-ac...

Lawsuit 2016: http://legalnewsline.com/stories/510983700-california-advertiser-files-suit-against-google-alleging-...

With this said: I believe Google pays some sweat shop in China or India to make these clicks. I think I am going to join the cause in shutting down the Adwords BS.

To add to this: My AdWords are only supposed to run in Maricopa County. However, this is not the case.

I have other states getting my listings too!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Robert,

Google makes many billions of dollars from AdWords legitimately - they do not participate in click fraud, nor would they risk such a thing. 

As you are new to AdWords, and there are a lot of default settings that aren't necessarily suited to your advertising, let us help you fix this.

Regarding your location settings - in the campaign settings, go to Location options (advanced) and change target to:

People in my targeted location

From now on your ads will only show to people in that location.

It would be rare for the first ad campaign of someone new to AdWords to receive a lead from just 14 clicks...

How are you measuring visits and whether you receive a lead?

Are you running search or display ads?

For search, are you use broad match keywords, or a different type?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I guess you didn't read my post. It is already setup that way. It's set to show only in Maricopa County. However, it's not happening!!!!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How am I measuring visits... again, you didn't read. I am using my own scrip logic which can be held in a court of law as accurate. and I am I using Google Analytic's. As for Analytic's, it too shows the users are not staying on the page for longer than 0 seconds. I have one user today that came from DEXKnows and they stayed on for 5 pages. everything that came from CPC has been FRAUD!!!!!!!!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Are you using broad match keywords? What searches are showing on the Search Terms report? If your ads are showing for irrelevant searches, then it would make sense if people didn't stay very long... 

In Analytics, if people only visit one page and leave, it will show zero seconds regardless of how long they stay for. The time only works when they visit another page on your site.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am using two keywords. Managed IT Service and Managed IT Services. Bottom line is I specifically selected Maricopa County, that's where it should show Not India, Canada, Colorado, California, and other places. As for my logic it tracks the servers session to the client browser. if that browser stops it's connection the server it ends the TCP connection. My logic looks at the TCP connection and how long that connection is alive. It also establishes the location of the end device.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Robert,

Have you looked at the Search Terms report, and are the searches relevant to your business? Do they include keywords like Phoenix?

Also, if you go to Dimensions > User Locations, you can see where Google understands the visitors are from (Google gets this data from 3rd parties). Do you see India there?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

No they do not use relevant keywords phoenix. Yes, that's how I saw where the traffic was coming from. I am able to go to GEO and pick the city and everything.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The only way you ads are showing in India if you have specified your local area is if the default settings are being used. With the default settings Google shows your ads to people in your location OR are interested in your location. You need to change the settings as I said above, to People in my targeted location.

If the actual searches are irrelevant to your business, you need to use exact match keywords, or phrase match keywords and negatives.

Finally, apologies but I just realised that you might be using AdWords Express. If so, then that is the real problem.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

<joke>

Hear, hear!

Sure is a scam, otherwise I just can't imagine how a friend of mine, after struggling for years to expand his business to a different niche, with only some local customers, has now turned the niche into his core business and has customers hundreds of miles away, across the country. And all this by using targeted AdWords ads and spending a fortune, namely a few hundred dollars every year, during high season.

</joke>

Joking aside, I hear and understand your frustration, but I just wouldn't go as far as to call an advertising system that has worked small miracles for many advertisers and performed fantastically for scores of others (who managed to fine tune it properly), a scam. It is competitive, it is costly sometimes, it is complex. As any high-performing system is. A scam though? That's a bit harsh. Very, actually.

But - to paraphrase "the Dude" - "Yeah, well, that's just, like, my opinion, man".

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.