AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

800 clicks per month that Google did not generate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To whom it will concern.

We recently hooked up with AdWords... no problem there at all. I do foresee a problem coming up very soon though.

We originally constructed our web page, many years ago, ONLY for our potential customers to have a place to go to after they have received our snail mail letter which directs them directly to our web page...

Now it would seem that when we send out approximately 1,500 personally addressed letters each and every month... that we will be paying Google every time these potential clients click on our link. These are peolpe that are not simply surfing the web and finding us... they are only customers going to our web page because we specifically asked them and directed them to.

We are not at all interested in having an additional expense from Google for about 800 clicks per month that Google did not generate. 

You can see our dilema... How do we work around this?

Regards,
SMITH CONSTRUCTION & Associates

Greg G Smith
General Manager4
Tel: 604-939-6929
Fax: 604-939-6930

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: 800 clicks per month that Google did not generate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Greg!

Welcome to the Community and I'm actually quite happy that you have come here with your concerns.

Based on your description, I think you may have mistaken how AdWords works or perhaps someone has provided you some incorrect information.

You will only pay Google when someone clicks on one of your ads. 

You get to select the search queries/keywords that your ads will show up for. 

If someone visits your website directly by typing in your web address in the address bar of your browser (with or without a direct mail), there are no ad click charges. 

If someone searches on Google for your company and/or services and then clicks on an organic listing (non-paid regular search results) to visit your website, again there are no ad click charges.

Only when a user searches for a term that you have selected will your ads show up.  A user will then need to click on your ad for you to pay for that click.  Ads are displayed above, to the right and sometimes below your regular search results.

Take a few minutes and watch this video:  http://www.google.com/ads/learn/market-online/videos/what-is-adwords.html

Please come back with any further questions you may have.  I'm sure we can help you figure this out and how to set you up for success.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Greg!

Welcome to the Community and I'm actually quite happy that you have come here with your concerns.

Based on your description, I think you may have mistaken how AdWords works or perhaps someone has provided you some incorrect information.

You will only pay Google when someone clicks on one of your ads. 

You get to select the search queries/keywords that your ads will show up for. 

If someone visits your website directly by typing in your web address in the address bar of your browser (with or without a direct mail), there are no ad click charges. 

If someone searches on Google for your company and/or services and then clicks on an organic listing (non-paid regular search results) to visit your website, again there are no ad click charges.

Only when a user searches for a term that you have selected will your ads show up.  A user will then need to click on your ad for you to pay for that click.  Ads are displayed above, to the right and sometimes below your regular search results.

Take a few minutes and watch this video:  http://www.google.com/ads/learn/market-online/videos/what-is-adwords.html

Please come back with any further questions you may have.  I'm sure we can help you figure this out and how to set you up for success.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Actually this can happen - but not directly.

Many people - my parents (doesn't matter how many times you explain it to them) - think that the big box in the middle of the Google search page (which they have as their default page) is where you are supposed to enter the address of the page you want to visit.

Then when the results come up they click on the first link they see for the page they want to go to... if it's your ad they will click on that.

There are not too many workarounds for stupidity.

Thankfully this will probably be a relatively small number of people - all those who "do it right" and those that have your page saved in bookmarks or favourites will not incur a cost...

I don't think there is a way to exclude previous visitors.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

Yes, what Steve explained is certainly a possibility but a rare one IMO if you take the proper precautions.  You could choose to not have a "brand" ad group where you are bidding on your company name/brand/domain name etc, then, in that particular instance, none of your ads will show up.

At the end of the day, I do not think you will find that direct mail leads to ad click charges, even if you have an active AdWords campaign running at the same time.

-Tom