AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

wrong telephone number

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I search on Ad Preview and Diagnosis the wrong telephone number comes up.  The company looking after my adwords campaign say they have changed it (after three months).  I have spent over $A2,000 on this campaign and have not had one enquiry from my ad.  Is there a way of possibly double checking that the correct telephone number is on my ads.  Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: wrong telephone number

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kay,

It is likely that your agency set up a call forwarding number to track calls, which is probably why it appears to be incorrect. If you log into your account you can navigate to the settings tab and select call extensions from the drop down to check.

Here is more information about call extensions: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453991?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy

Sorry, I should have mentioned the number they had put up is my fax number (which is still appearing), not my telephone number.
I can't log into my account as they have not given me any details of the account.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Kay

Aside from Amy's answer, there are a few possibilities here I believe to think about (its difficult without knowing in full detail the exact issue details). Obviously a fax wouldn't connect as a call which could be one issue.

I don't believe that you can preview a call extension with the ad preview tool? If this is not a call extension, I am not sure whether the ad policy allows telephone numbers in the ad. Could it be the ad is being served without the number?

One suggestion if you have doubts about the agency, It may be possible to view the change history in the account for proof this was changed as and when it is claimed.

It does seem unusual for that amount to be spent and not 1 enquiry although it is possible.

You may want to check other details such as was it a call extension as Amy highlights, and if all forwarding number used? If so, there may be some analysis options for you available found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en

I hope those options may help a little bit.

All the best with this

James Edward

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I see! Is someone still managing your account? If so, you should ask them to update it immediately. For full transparency, I would also ask for login credentials to your account, just do that you have access.

If no one is currently managing your campaigns and you don't have account access, you should contact AdWords through the support link in the top left corner of the page (if you are on a desktop) to try to obtain access.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, I see that you said that they've already said that they changed it. In that case, I can't imagine why they would lie but I still think you should request account access and check for yourself. 3 months was too long for them to have waited to make such a simple change, anyway, if they had known it was wrong for that long.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Kay,

If you do not have access to your AdWords account, you need to check it again with the company managing your account. Ideally, you should always have access to your account to see what is being done to it.

Thanks
Ratan

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.