AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

will targeting optimization show my ads on sites i did not select

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will selecting target optimization for a display only campaign result in impressions outside of my specific group of placements?  It's very unclear whether or not this is the case. 

The reporting makes it appear that the impressions are still related to those placements but it's unclear.

And even though I have not added any addition filtering/targeting to thos placements, if I turn OFF optimizaiton my estimately weekly impressions drops to 0-1k.  Which is why I'm thinking optimization goes outside of my desired placements.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: will targeting optimization show my ads on sites i did not select

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Could you elaborate on the targeting methods you are you using?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sure. And thank you for the quick reply. It's display network only. One ad group with four 300x250 ad units in even rotation. Daily budget $50. And a set of about 6 sites related to home decor and interior design. There is no sub targeting within that set (topic, keyword, demographic , etc.) So in my view I'm targeting any properly sized inventory across all those sites. Yesterday I had selected target optimization and saw a big increase in clicks - however my real time tracking did not seem to attribute the traffic to referrals from the target placements - in fact, and oddly the referral source was not showing up. However in the Google Adwords Ad Group report it does indeed show nearly 50,000 impressions across the targeted sites. With all that, my question is if I toggle target optimization on for the ad group - is Google going to serve my ads on sites outside of my targeted placements? I don't want impressions and clicks on sites that I don't directly select.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You must have least one targeting method on the display network. Still, it is not clear which one you are using? My "feeling" is that you are using more than one method using "bid" only.
Check this article:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll take a look thank you. today was 40k impressions 22 clicks, most from a SF based news site which clearly is not delivering relevant traffic. Thanks again.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Also, you need to bear in mind that it takes about 48 hours for fairly complete and accurate data on Display network activity to be posted to your AdWords account.

While Analytics data posting can be faster, it's still not reliable enough that I'd base any AdWords decisions on data from "today."

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*