AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

why would someone ask for my google customer id number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, Google Community!

I work for an online company and one of our vendors has asked for our Google Customer ID Number in order to be able to sell their product online. 

Why would they need this information and should we give it to them? 

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why would someone ask for my google customer id number?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stephanie,

Are they going to be managing your AdWords account? Typically people ask for the CID if they will be taking over management, so that they can pull the account into their MCC. You also have to provide the CID to Google if there's an issue with your account or your applying for betas, if there's any reason they would be doing that on your behalf (which is unlikely, unless they are managing the account). If they aren't involved in your account in any way, I would ask them for clarification.

If they are looking to promote their products online, they should set up their own AdWords account, separate of yours.

I hope this is helpful - if they respond with more detail as to why they are asking for your CID, I'd love to hear it. We might be better able to understand/vet their intentions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Amy!

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

No, they will not be managing our account. They are requiring we provide them with our Google AdWords (and Yahoo/Bing Ads) customer ID numbers in order to allow us to carry their product.

I wasn't entirely comfortable giving them this information, as I didn't see the need for it. However, I figured I'd reach out to the Google community in case there was something I'm missing.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the context - I have never experienced a vendor requiring a CID number. It seems a little fishy to me. I wish I could think of a reason they would need it but I'm coming up blank, so I'd be very hesitant.

Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your input, Amy. That helps.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to help!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Stephanie,

I'll second Amy's comments, I can't think of any good reason why a vendor would need your AdWords CID.  I would refuse to give it unless they can provide a very good reason why.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Interesting..

I will just bring up this point, but I do not recommend giving your CID.

Some vendors may have restrictions on what terms you can advertise in order to "sell" or Affiliate for their products. They may think that looking at your Account via their own MCC would help "control" that end of the 'requirements".

However as both Amy and Jon stated, I would not recommend doing that, nor see why they would NEED that number. That is the only thing "I could think of" as a potential "True non Fishy" reason for asking for the number.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for jumping in, Jon and Eric. Your perspectives have given me extra reassurance!

I'm thinking the vendor is asking for the CID for reasons along the line of what Eric said. Bottom line: there is no good reason they "need" it. Therefore, they will just have to do without it Smiley Happy

why would someone ask for my google customer id number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Someone just called and said that she is from AddPeople Ltd and she can help my current google AdWords campaign and to show me how, she asked for my Customer ID.

Now my question is that:

Can they do any harm at all, if I give them that number?

Many Thanks