AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

why would be ads be showing up outside my geo target area?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have set up a target area and when we check it is all ok but we seem to have coverage over the whole country??

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why would be ads be showing up outside my geo target area?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Vince,

I would advise to check Advanced location settings under campaign settings.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

So, If you are using default location option: “Reach people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location” ad will be shown to people that are likely to be physically located in your targeted location and also to people who have interest in location targeted by you, may be outside your target location.

To limit your ads only to people who are physically located in your targeted location you need to change advance location settings to “Reach people in my targeted location”

Let us know if you have more questions.
Hope that helps!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Agree with Neha here.

If you have targeted UK with advance settings of “Reach people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location” , people who live in UK will see your ad + people who live outside UK but still searching on google.co.uk domain can see your ad.

You can have an idea about where those came from by checking dimension- user location report 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Vince W

In addition to all the great advice from @Neha Gupta and @Nisal_L you may want to look into the Exclusion of targeted areas.

In your targeting setting you have Target areas as well as Exclude area just as mentioned prior.

Since you have identified area that you deem may not be your best targeted customers, you can add those into an excluded targeting to makes sure you ads don't show to those areas.

Ie
Exclude
People in my excluded location

The same way you add targeted areas. you search for that area in the target box but then Exclude those area instead "Target" those areas.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Helllo

This may be because of the following reaons:

1. Either someone outside your geo targetted location is searching for something in your location (You might enabled this option when creating your campaign).
(For ex: If I am in US, and you have targetted your ad to India, and I do a search in google say "xxx in India" then your ad shall be visible to be in US).

2. Someone outside your geo is making a search in Google corresponding to your geo's domain. (For ex. Assume you are in India, and I am in US. You have targetted your ad to India, this ad might be still visible to me if I use google.co.in from USA)

3. If someone out of your geo location is using a VPN or a proxy to access a site of different geo, then the ads of that geo shall be visible to him instead of his own geo's ads!

4. Next, sometimes it can occur even due to language targetting. If a user in Spain sets his preferred language as French, then French ads will be visible to him. So, be sure to check your language targetting also.

Thanks
Raghavan