AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

why keywords removed are still counted for impression(CTR)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of keywords has very high impression but few clicks, so I removed from keyword list. But later, I found my overall CTR down rapidly because the impression of that keyword was still there...in the "Total - all removed keywords" and "Total - Search". How can I delete the keyword that I removed in order to get a higher CTR equation?  Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why keywords removed are still counted for impression(CTR)?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Winnie L,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

It's because of the date range you may have selected. If you take the date when you pause keywords in the report range, it will still show data for paused/removed keywords. 

An alternative would be to use 'Filter' - something like the image below -

filter.png

Edit - added additional image below -

It will add an additional row at the bottom -

filtered.png 

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Winnie,

I am afraid that is not possible. If you have deleted or 'removed' a certain keyword or keywords, the data that they had accumulated over time is retained in the account. If you think about logically this is right as if you were reporting spends for each campaign or themes or even keywords and if you had deleted a campaign/theme/keyword, the total is still going to count the spends incurred by them and if you don't count the spends incurred by such campaigns, your total spends will have a deficit and the same cannot be reported as proper spends.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Winnie,

In addition to the above, I would just like to add that you can maybe do a before & after comparison of your CTR and other metrics and show how your CTR has increased after pausing the lower performing themes.

The idea here is that it will unethical to try and hide the fact that you had incurred those clicks & recorded the respective impressions. Instead of fudging your numbers to show a good CTR by not considering the previous performance, its better to do a comparison or a week on week or a month on month progression report and show how your CTR has increased over time without the now paused themes & keywords.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just had 3 clicks today (September 23 2015), of which I can confirm only one looking at the logs my web hosting provides.
And they all came - and are counted on - removed keywords, I had removed them earlier today.
Looks like they are just cheating.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Dimiter,

It could be because of the reporting delay.

It sometimes takes up to 48 Hours for the data to populated against your keywords, ad text, GDN banner and so on. I have personally seen data being attributed to a campaign and account but the same took some time to trickle down and be reported against a keywords in the account/campaign.

I think the keywords in question had already accumulated stats before you had removed them.

Cheers!
Shashank
Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shashank,

I have a question. After setting up Google add words I am now getting a lot of traffic from India including a high volume of spam emails. Do you know what the best steps are for eliminating the spam? The emails that are coming in have legitimate spelling and titles requesting for the services that we offer. The names are all Indian names and if you reply to them there is never a response back. What are your suggestions for how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Tom

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Hi Tom,

If you cannot serve customers in India, you will want to set up more specific location targeting, and target only the countries you do want to reach. You can do this by going to the Settings tab of your campaign > Locations > +Location.

The other thing I would recommend is having some sort of CAPTCHA or verification on your website form, so that potential spam cannot go through your web form.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You are trying to remove the keyword data ? clicks and impressions gained by that keyword ? you might need to adjust your date range