AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

why is my budget not totally spent ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I have a question about budgets, and I'd really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

I have created a campaign with 40$ daily budget ($40/day) started this month (April 1) but although two weeks(14 days) have passed (today is April 15th), the amount spent seems to be 296$.

Shouldn't it be 560 $ instead of 296 $ ? (40 * 14 = 560) 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why is my budget not totally spent ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Well.... This could be since your ad was not winning a slot due to quality;
Check your lost impression shat due to (low) rank.

Read more
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer, I looked at the link you've shared. However; the keywords I used have high quality scores (9 or 10 out of 10) and my campaign's ad rank is high, in fact it shows on top at Google Search's, so there shouldn't be any problem regarding quality, i think.

Any more suggestions, please? Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Erdem, if you're not losing any impressions due to Rank, there are two possible reasons why you're not spending as much as you expect:

1.  Your CTR isn't as good as it could be.  This means your Ads are being shown to every matching search query, but your Ads aren't appealing to the search users so aren't clicked as often as they could be.  Ensure you use at least 2 Ad variations per Ad Group and measure them for quality and performance, adjusting to try and improve CTR.

2.  You're actually already getting all the possible clicks there are for your Keywords!

The second option is highly unlikely since CTR can almost always be improved, but it could be that you're very close to getting all reasonable clicks for your Keywords.  For example, I would say a CTR of 50% across a Campaign would be very good indeed, but if there are only 500 searches a day matching your terms, you'll still only get 250 clicks.

I'd also be inclined to look at your Campaign structure.  Assuming you have multiple Ad Groups, you may find some have a higher CTR than others and you may benefit from splitting the Campaign into multiples to allow more "share" of this $40 a day budget to go to the better performing Groups.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@ Erdem; I was referring to ad-rank:

>>" the percentage of time that your ads weren't shown on the Search Network due to poor Ad Rank. "

Ad rank is the bid*QS. If the QS is 9-10, then, higher  the bid;

@Jon_Gritton : I eliminated the option of low CTR, since had the CTR was low,  QS most likely would not be 9-10, as the OP suggested.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@MosheTLV agreed, but that doesn't mean to say it couldn't be "average" and couldn't be higher.  Neither do we know how many impressions we're talking about here.  Even a 1% increase in CTR for 1000 impressions a day is another 10 clicks and for some CPCs that could be $40 right there.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Erdem,

To know the why your campaigns are underspending, you will need to identify why your camapigns are not getting enough impressions shares. For the same, refer to the metrics Imprssion Share, Lost IS (rank), Lost IS (budget). These metrics can be chosen in the Campaign tab by clicking on Column drop down. By knowing the reason, you can then proceed to analyze respective data and take the necessary steps.

Also, which network is your camapign opted in? If it is in the Search Network, look at the kind of keywords you are targeting. Are they all in restrictive match types like Exact and Phrase? If yes, you can look to open opportunities by adding BMM and Broad keywords. Additionally, by going in your keyword tab, you can also see the status of each keyword and take corrective measures. There is a possibility that these keyword might not have high search volumes. If your campaign is opted in the Display Network, you need to see what kind of targeting and ads are you using. Flash ads generally have lower inventory on GDN as compared to Image and Text ads. Also, check your targeting, if it is a remarketing camapign is your list updated with 100 unique users? With GDN campaigns, one needs to be extra careful with the bidding (Target & Bid & Bid Only).

I think these steps should help you out. If not, you can also try changing your Ad Rotation setting to focus on click, which will help you get more traffic. Additionally, you can also look to change your budget delivery setting to Accelerated to ensure that you are entering the auction for each and every search query.

Just a tip, no matter what changes you make, please keep a close eye on the camapign as a budget set for a campaign can spend +/-20%.

I hope these above steps help you out.

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
First of all, thank you all for your detailed answers.

@Cobnut; My campaign (opted in search network) has a CTR of 44.51%. Is it a good number?

@NeetiGhildiyal My campaign is opted in Search Network, and I looked at the Impression share and Lost IS metrics as you told, but they seem OK. (Search Impression share is 99,86% and Lost IS is 0,14%) Keywords are mostly in exact & phrase matches, maybe I can try broad matching , too.

But I'll try changing ad rotation and accelerated budget delivery setting and see how it goes.

Thanks again, I'll let you know if these work or not Smiley Happy

Have a nice day!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Couple of points to make here... firstly - 44.51% is a very good CTR... very, very good.

...and if you are getting 99.86% of the IS - then there are practically no more impressions available

So it would appear that you are getting everything you could get with your current keyword set. But, moving your keywords to broad match is probably not the best move.

My recommendation (and I'd be keen to hear the other's opinions here) would be to set up a second campaign as a feeder to try and find new keywords to add to this well performing campaign.

I would concentrate on Broad Match Modified keywords to give yourself a wider net - without casting it as wide as pure broad match would do. Then I would keep a close eye on my Search Query Reports to see which search queries are triggering these keywords. Adding these search terms either as BMM or phrase match keywords and then, if their performance merits it - moving them into the "star" group. In this way you can keep your bids high and aggressive in the "star" group - and look for new additions at lower bids with less risk. You can also use this feeder campaign to identify negative keywords which you might not be able to do with your exact and phrase match group.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Have you opt in ads extension. Its can increase more traffic specially sitelink.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3465883?hl=en&rd=1