AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

why google charge for bounces

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why is google adwords charging me for bounces that measure 0:00 seconds.  If somebody on my site for 10 seconds or more and doesn't like it that one thing, but 0 seconds?  Google has to know this happens I can't be the only one

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why google charge for bounces

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jason.
A couple of points here.

First of all, bounces measured by GA at 0.00 may not be zero seconds. Have a look at the documentation on how Google measures bounce rate.

Second of all, Google charges you for the click. If your ads are not relevant to the user or the user clicks and your site is not relevant to the keyword that YOU were bidding on, that's hardly Google's fault. It's up to you to make sure you deal with the click. That's the explicit arrangement.

You might want to look at the keywords that are causing the bounces and ask yourself, what's actually causing these users to bounce? What am I not providing my users that are causing them to bounce?

This is less a problem with Google as it is an opportunity for you to provide a better experience for your users.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

All bounces will record 0:00 seconds on the page, no matter how long the visitor views your landing page. In order to calculate the time on a page, the visitor must click on an internal link. You could set up an event for the page onexit. That would record the amount of time the visitor stayed on your landing page. You could set that up to trigger, say when the visitor has viewed your page for 10 seconds or more. That would give you an idea of how long visitors actually viewed your landing page.

It's all up to you to write good ads, use good keywords, and create a good user experience on your landing page and do what ever is necessary to convert your visitors.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Let's think about this process for a moment... you select a keyword based on what you think your potential customers will use as a search term, they trigger your ad - which you wrote - which should give an idea of what the visitor might expect when they get to your site - and they clicked on your ad... and land on your website.. at this point, AdWords job is done - what else can we ask the platform to do?

If that visitor then leaves the site without visiting any other page (and they may have spent an hour on the page but Google will record a 00.00 visit for the reasons others have given above) you cannot blame the advertisng medium that brought them there... here are the possible reasons they left :

1. when the got to the site it was not what they expected....

2. they couldn't understand how to get to further pages.....

3. the information they found allowed them to discount your site in favour of others - for example - your price is much higher than everyone else's....

but there is really nothing that we can point back to as a responsibility of Adwords.... they are your keywords and your ad copy - if this is attracting the "wrong" traffic - then you need to change something. It's the equivalent of blaming the Ford Motor Company because you had an accident whilst driving with your eyes closed.....

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's not true. The Page Visibility API allows to measure the time a user sees the page, even if he does not navigate or clicks any link.

Google could measure the time correctly (without any tool; the page visibility API is standardized) but it prefers to charge for zero second visitors. Google is not about making the world a better place, but making google a bigger player in the world Smiley Sad