5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

whats a good CTR on Display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok put our first ever display network text ad campaign up 30 odd hours ago.

have got the first days impressions and clicks back

we managed a 0.59 % CTR is that good or bad on the display network

thats after some 1400 or so impressions and 80 odd clicks is that enought to make any judgments yet

or do i wait awhile to start optimising and where do i start

thanks ian

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: whats a good CTR on Display network

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

In general, display network has low CTR than search network.But there is no benchmark which can tell what CTR is good for display network, but yes CTR of more 1% will be good CTR. In my point of view, instead of focusing more on CTR, I'll focus more on the conversion rate of campaign, there is noting wrong if your camapign has more conversion rate than CTR. I hope you are using the Google adwords conversion tracking to track the conversions.

I'll suggest you to wait for 6-7 days and then check the websites at placements and check which websites have good CTR and conversion rate then can add these websites in managed placement and bid higher for these website. And in same way exclude those websites which are getting only impressions and not giving conversions. If you are using the contextual targeting then also check the keywords which are giving conversions and have good CTR and do the same as discussed above.

Dinesh
My Blog

Re: Display Network Placements and contextual targeting

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Ecommerce_Spain;

I agree with Dinesh that there is no criterion for CTR on the Display, and that the CTR on the Display tend to be significantly lower than on Search.

I do recommend to set both placements and keywords (for contextual targeting) This setting narrows your targeting to webpages that are likely to be more relevant to your advertising.

Please also note that you can bid on specific keywords. If you notice that a specific KW brings you more conversions, then you can increase the bid for that KW.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Guys

hehehe yeah I at the end of the day it needs it to be profitable whether the CTR is 0.0001 or 10%

As I have never set up a google adwords campaign before (or any others either) and have never written an ad in my life I was just interested if our 0.59% was average, low, or unbelivable for the dispaly network Smiley Happy but was under the impression that the better your CTR the lower google would charge you and the higher your ad would appear I was under the impression this happened for Search as well as Display.

Dinesh yes I am using the google adwords conversion tracking I have even put the php call that our Cre loaded b2b 6.3.2 ecommerce site uses to call the actual value of the order in the tracking code. But unfortunately google explanation of this leaves much to be desired so I hope I did it correctly, I am not a programmer so what i have gleaned so far tends to make me more dangerous than usful Smiley Happy but adwords hasn't reported any sales yet. even thou in analytics it looks like one of yesterday clicks was a sale but cannot see value or keyword or adgoup nothing , I thought that by linking analytics and adwords it would show all this.

But as I was studying this today i have noticed an error in the analytics reporting as it doesn't show all our sales and seems to miss about 25% of the credit card sales but shows all of the bank transfer sales. not an error in google, but we use our banks TPV virtual which runs on Semepa (spain) after a bit of investigation it looks like the semepa page when the clients Credit card is authorised it has a button which says continue which sends them to our sucess_page.php where of course our tracking pixel lurks. so obviously some don't bother to click as the cards been accepted so they think no need. Smiley Happy so need to find a solution to that pronto.

ps Dinish great blog I will bit by bit study it. i already set up the custom filter for PPc that you show in your blog doesn't show anything yet but I assume it will only show future traffic.

Moshe sorry but Not certain what you mean by both placements and keywords (for contextual targeting)

I thought i would start with Display, What I have done is to set up 2 identical Display campaigns one purely for text ads and one for image ads. i've set the text version live with 6 adgroups and 2 ads per group set to rotate evenly when I get a winner I will write another and then put the winner 3 times and the the new one once etc. I shall also be looking at the keywords and what sites they come from when I work out how and shall delete, increase, lower depending. but I think I made a mistake in putting all the keywords as broad as that is what Google says to do???

but i've heared that that is not true no longer so any advice there would be welcolme.

thanks Ian

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Ecommerce_Spain

Here you are : 

Where ads appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods:

• The ad appears only next to relevant content (based on the keywords) on the placements you've selected

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

What's a good CTR toConversion Ratio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What would be a good CTR to Conversion ratio. In other words, what percent of *clicks* convert in an average display campaign?

Re: What's a good CTR toConversion Ratio

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@dreamerdad2012;

This is a broad question...since so many parameters involved (type of business;  adrank; keywords, competition...) -  every number wins.

Re: What's a good CTR to Conversion Ratio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Let me frame it a different way: Let's say my display ad for a $20 book generates 10,000 clicks per month. Of those 10,000 clicks, what's a realistic range for how many sales I'd get from those 10,000 clicks? 10 - 100? 100 - 1000? 1-1,000?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Use Mathmatics to Know if you have a good CTR .

An example 1000 vistor clicked your ads but only 2 purchase your product . Les say that 1000 click cost you 100 $ and your product cost 100 $ so you lost 100 $ but win 2 X 100= 200 $

So even with 0.2 % CTR you will gain some money

Now , assume that 1000 vistitors clicked on your ads and 10 purchase yur producr but your product cost 5 $

in this case you pay 100 $ on ads and gain 10 X 5 = 50 $ . You are lossing

So the answer in this question : Does the CTR makes money for me ?

Note :

Sorry for my weak English

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dinesh

Why would you recommend excluding placements which are getting only impressions? As soon as it does not effect quality score, why would I mind impressions without clicks, as it might be contributing to my Branding (supposing I am using CPC bid type)

What you suggest here?

Nabeel