AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

what is the maximum number of keywords in a single Ad Group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm reading about the different type of limitations in Adwords account. Here is the link:

https://support.google.com/partners/answer/1704396

But nothing is written about the maximum number of keywords you can have in a single ad group. So what is the limitations on the number of keywords you can have in a single ad group?

Help requested,

Thanks,

Deepanshu

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: what is the maximum number of keywords in a single Ad Group?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Deepanshu
The keyword limit is 3 million per account. I presume that the limit is spread out over all adgroups. Therefore, technically, you can have all 3 million in a single ad group.
However, it's probably not mentioned because having 3 million keywords in an adgroup would be completely pointless as there is no way they could all be relevant to a single ad. I have not seen an adgroup with more than 10 keywords in it in about 4 years. Anything more than that and you're shooting yourself in the foot in terms of quality score.

There is absolutely no reason to have anywhere close to the account limit of keywords in a single ad group. Probably why it wasn't mentioned at all. It's the same as asking something like "what's the character limit in keywords that I can use?". Why do you need to even know that when nobody is going to ever type in a keyword longer than a few hundred characters and even still....

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Deepanshu
The keyword limit is 3 million per account. I presume that the limit is spread out over all adgroups. Therefore, technically, you can have all 3 million in a single ad group.
However, it's probably not mentioned because having 3 million keywords in an adgroup would be completely pointless as there is no way they could all be relevant to a single ad. I have not seen an adgroup with more than 10 keywords in it in about 4 years. Anything more than that and you're shooting yourself in the foot in terms of quality score.

There is absolutely no reason to have anywhere close to the account limit of keywords in a single ad group. Probably why it wasn't mentioned at all. It's the same as asking something like "what's the character limit in keywords that I can use?". Why do you need to even know that when nobody is going to ever type in a keyword longer than a few hundred characters and even still....

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave for your quick reply and answer.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

EDITED:

Hey Deepanshu G, how are things?

As already mentioned, having small ad groups with a few keyword should be your goal.

Adwords is all about connecting: Keywords + Ads + Landing Page, so when you have smaller groups, with a few keywords about the same theme, you have more control and are able to create high quality Ads, very tight to those keywords, in which you can later on send the user to a page that also talks about the same subject.

This is very important thing to think about, because it tends to have a good impact over your keyword Quality, and Google is all about quality and relevance.

If you ever see a few keywords together that doesn't make much sense on the same group, break them into different ad groups or even on different campaigns if that's the case, this will certainly help you, and even if by any case you reach the limits, you can call Google and ask them to increase the limits (will depend on their analysis and approval).

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@leandrofm
Out of curiosity, why did you copy and paste the entire article that Depanshu referenced in his first post?
No need to comment for the sake of commenting. If you're not going to add anything or if you're going to confuse the person looking for help, why bother?

It's quite frustrating if I'm honest.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Dave_Davis I've mistaken the article with another one that was opened for me, that's my bad. Did not see they were the same. You don't have to be so rough Smiley Happy

Will edit with more useful insights.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As mentioned above. I only try to put 7-10 keywords in an adgroup. Keep a close eye on relevance. That is something Google looks very closely on. The relevance of your keywords to your search and relevance of keywords/search to your landing page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Abhinav for your suggestions!