AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

what is differnce between topic based & interest based ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Here I'm little confuess about topic based and interest based marketing in display side.

Can any one help here?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sagarika E (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: what is differnce between topic based & interest based ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Manoj. It's actually pretty simple: topics are assigned to websites and interests are assigned to people.

When you target topics you focus on the website where your ads appear; when you target interests you focus on the person. You may also intersect them, if you want.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sagarika E (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Manoj. It's actually pretty simple: topics are assigned to websites and interests are assigned to people.

When you target topics you focus on the website where your ads appear; when you target interests you focus on the person. You may also intersect them, if you want.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Love this reply @AdWiser, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi there Manoj!

Let me try to summarise the difference here..

Topic Targeting: shows ads on contextualy relevant pages and does not take into account the user's past site visits.. For instance, by selecting the "Autos & Vehicles" topic, you enable your ad to appear on any Google Display Network website that includes content about cars or other automotive themes. 

Interest Categories: You reach categories of users based on their interests on the Google Display Network taking into account the user's past site visitations. For instance, by selecting the "Autos & Vehicles" Interest categories, you enable your ad to appear for users that have shown a high interest into "Autos & Vehicles" pages in the past. In this case, if the user is visiting a music related website, your ad can still be shown in case you've selected 'Auto and Vehicles' since this user has previously visited websites related to 'Auto & Vehicles'. 

Hope this helps!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello;
Topics is the subject - sites that have content relevant to the subject / content listed;
Interests - is about the USERS who Google  finds to have attention/ attraction / curiosity about a topic.
(This is done by analyzing users browsing history)

For example: a topic could be "languages" and the users the system finds to be  "attracted"  to / curious about  languages are on the interests list.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Ohhh..So many answers while I was typing mine.... Smiley Happy
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Smiley Happy @Dave_Davis , thanks.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Manoj

In topic based marketing your are targeting placements which have content related to the topic you have selected. For e.g. if you have "Health & Fitness" as a topic then your ad will be shown on placements related to health & fitness.

In interest based marketing you are targeting users who are visiting placements related to the interest you have selected. For e.g. if a user is visiting a placements related to Hotels & Holidays and you have selected Travel as interest categories then Google will consider you ad to be shown to on that placement.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek