AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

what is differnce between topic based & interest based ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Here I'm little confuess about topic based and interest based marketing in display side.

Can any one help here?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sagarika E (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: what is differnce between topic based & interest based ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Manoj. It's actually pretty simple: topics are assigned to websites and interests are assigned to people.

When you target topics you focus on the website where your ads appear; when you target interests you focus on the person. You may also intersect them, if you want.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sagarika E (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Manoj. It's actually pretty simple: topics are assigned to websites and interests are assigned to people.

When you target topics you focus on the website where your ads appear; when you target interests you focus on the person. You may also intersect them, if you want.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Love this reply @AdWiser, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi there Manoj!

Let me try to summarise the difference here..

Topic Targeting: shows ads on contextualy relevant pages and does not take into account the user's past site visits.. For instance, by selecting the "Autos & Vehicles" topic, you enable your ad to appear on any Google Display Network website that includes content about cars or other automotive themes. 

Interest Categories: You reach categories of users based on their interests on the Google Display Network taking into account the user's past site visitations. For instance, by selecting the "Autos & Vehicles" Interest categories, you enable your ad to appear for users that have shown a high interest into "Autos & Vehicles" pages in the past. In this case, if the user is visiting a music related website, your ad can still be shown in case you've selected 'Auto and Vehicles' since this user has previously visited websites related to 'Auto & Vehicles'. 

Hope this helps!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello;
Topics is the subject - sites that have content relevant to the subject / content listed;
Interests - is about the USERS who Google  finds to have attention/ attraction / curiosity about a topic.
(This is done by analyzing users browsing history)

For example: a topic could be "languages" and the users the system finds to be  "attracted"  to / curious about  languages are on the interests list.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Ohhh..So many answers while I was typing mine.... Smiley Happy
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Smiley Happy @Dave_Davis , thanks.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Manoj

In topic based marketing your are targeting placements which have content related to the topic you have selected. For e.g. if you have "Health & Fitness" as a topic then your ad will be shown on placements related to health & fitness.

In interest based marketing you are targeting users who are visiting placements related to the interest you have selected. For e.g. if a user is visiting a placements related to Hotels & Holidays and you have selected Travel as interest categories then Google will consider you ad to be shown to on that placement.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek