AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

what competition numbers equate to low, medium, high?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The keyword planner shows low, medium and high under Competition, but if you download the data you get decimal numbers. Whatare the cutoffs for low, medium and high?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Linda P
September 2015

Re: what competition numbers equate to low, medium, high?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi linda,

i also had the same question then i manually check it and and i found that > 0.69 is high competition, < 0.69 and > 0.34 is medium and rest is low

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

I believe that the corresponding numbers/competition volume actually depends on the industry. In some industries, 100 competitors bidding on a keyword would be "high" competition while in another industry, 100 competitors bidding would be "low" competition.

Also, since advertisers move in and out of the program constantly. no number would be more than "randomly, generically, sort of accurate as of a week or two ago."

Because of that, I don't worry about precise numbers. Once a keyword is active in a campaign, I can tell for myself what I need to do to succeed with it.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, but I'm not asking how to use the competition data or where it comes from. I'm looking for numbers. It's just not helpful the way the keyword planner has two different ways of categorizing competition - one on the screen and a different one on download. In order to equate high/medium/low to the decimal numbers, I want to know what the break points are. I'm asking where is the cut off for high when compared to the decimal numbers, where is the cut off for medium, and where is the cutoff for low.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Linda P
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi linda,

i also had the same question then i manually check it and and i found that > 0.69 is high competition, < 0.69 and > 0.34 is medium and rest is low

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, M Aamir L!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks So much Mr. Amir ..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks Amir for the answer...

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!