AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

video ad and display video ads? whats the difference?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

okay so i want to set a video campaign for a home & garden sale that my supermarket client has on at the moment.

I been provided with an awesome 30 second video.

We only want the video to be used on YouTube, and want to direct people through to their website specials page.

But how should i set this up??

isnt there 2 ways?

whats the difference between setting up a display network campaign (managed placement youtube only) and going into the 'All Video Campaigns' section and setting up a campaign here (which seems more complicated)

or should i do both and split the daily budget?

Im confused. Help

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: video ad and display video ads? whats the difference?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi TrueStu, if I may, I'd suggest two things in relation to your budget...

Firstly, I wouldn't spend as much as that on new "experimental" Campaigns.  I'd start a lot lower - say £10 per day - and use this value for a tuning period while you gather performance data and make changes to your Account structure and settings.  You will need to make changes and in the very begining a lot of your spend will be ineffective - this is true of even the best experts - so keeping your budget reasonable lowers the spend without a positive return.  It could take 2 or 3 weeks to get the account running well so the difference between £20 and £50 per day could easily be £400 - £600 - not to be laughed at.

You do need to keep the budget reasonable as if it gets too low you won't get enough data to make decisions but £10 per day should really be enough.

The second thing I'd say is that AdWords spend should really be about investment on return, not a fixed spend.  In truth you shouldn't have a fixed spend in mind (of £50) unless you're thinking of this as an initial spend based upon a set capital for "start-up" advertising.  What you spend on AdWords should be directly related to the income the Advertising brings to you, which is why it's essential you have Conversion Tracking in place before you spend your first quid.  In an ideal world it shouldn't matter if you're spending £50 or £50,000 a day, so long as the net income from AdWords exceeds this figure.

I'm sure you're not thinking this way but I see a lot of advertisers who "decide" upon a figure per day/month then never alter it, regardless of whether that figure is bringing them a loss or a profit.  Managing AdWords should be a dynamic process, not static.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello TrueStu,

There are actually 2 ways you can create videos ads inside Adwords to target your specific audiences. These are either using Adwords for Video section or using Display Ad Builder to create video ads. I would encourage you to read the following article to first see which feature serves your purpose and then follow the strategy accordingly:

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375497

Let us know if that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj,

That has help somewhat.

I will probably run 2 campaigns as I want to learn more. I have £50/ day to spend, so will do £25 on each and see which I prefer and which method works better.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi TrueStu, if I may, I'd suggest two things in relation to your budget...

Firstly, I wouldn't spend as much as that on new "experimental" Campaigns.  I'd start a lot lower - say £10 per day - and use this value for a tuning period while you gather performance data and make changes to your Account structure and settings.  You will need to make changes and in the very begining a lot of your spend will be ineffective - this is true of even the best experts - so keeping your budget reasonable lowers the spend without a positive return.  It could take 2 or 3 weeks to get the account running well so the difference between £20 and £50 per day could easily be £400 - £600 - not to be laughed at.

You do need to keep the budget reasonable as if it gets too low you won't get enough data to make decisions but £10 per day should really be enough.

The second thing I'd say is that AdWords spend should really be about investment on return, not a fixed spend.  In truth you shouldn't have a fixed spend in mind (of £50) unless you're thinking of this as an initial spend based upon a set capital for "start-up" advertising.  What you spend on AdWords should be directly related to the income the Advertising brings to you, which is why it's essential you have Conversion Tracking in place before you spend your first quid.  In an ideal world it shouldn't matter if you're spending £50 or £50,000 a day, so long as the net income from AdWords exceeds this figure.

I'm sure you're not thinking this way but I see a lot of advertisers who "decide" upon a figure per day/month then never alter it, regardless of whether that figure is bringing them a loss or a profit.  Managing AdWords should be a dynamic process, not static.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cobnut,

It was a nice reply of linear query. I also have same query. How would i decide what is the reasonable price for me?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I have more question. Sometime i see that Youtube show Image ads, How youtube show images ads instead of video ads? How can i show my image ads on youtbe?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It was a nice reply of linear query. I also have same query. How would i decide what is the reasonable price for me?

Are we talking price (cost) per click? There are different ways of deciding that depending on what your marketing motives are. Considering customers life time value, customer acqusition costs and value of branding, it can be made very complex.

But lets say, for the sake of simplicity, that you´re in to direct sales and do not want to pay more than amount X per sale. Then you need to start with deciding how much that X shall be and measure your cost per sale with conversion tracking, as Cobnut suggested. The next step would be to find out your conversion rate, based upon which you then can decide your max cost per click (the formula is: max cost per conversion times conversion rate). But in order to make a sound decision for that I´d say you need several hundred clicks.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

How youtube show images ads instead of video ads? How can i show my image ads on youtbe?

As YouTube is part of the Google Display Network, you can target YT or parts of YT through AdWords (not necessarily AdWords for Video) and show text, image or video ads there and bid by cpc, cpm or cpv.

You can also attach image and or text ads to your video ads in the AdWords for Video campaign.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks David to responding for my queries.

I would try to put my images in video campaign. Can you please refer my any well written and practical shown article about the same?

Regards

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭