Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

variations of keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have encountered an issue and not sure how to act with it. I have an adgroup with the same keyword but in different variations - for example: online games, online-games, online -games.

I used to run that way for a while with nice results but yet different between the terms, however lately I have noticed that I get this message: This keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword. Does it mean that adwords find these variations as the same keyword? should I pause the other keywords or maybe leave them on and sometimes they will trigger the ad?

Thanks,

Re: variations of keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Haim,

"online games, online-games, online -games" these are all considered as same by Google. Google ignores these characters i.e. dot (.), hyphen (-), underscore (_), forward/back slashes (/ \) etc. and replace them with blank space. e.g. if someone has a keyword "online-games" in the account, and if someone searches for "online games" (without hyphen), it is matched to the keywords with hyphen that's present in your account.

I would recommend to keep only one keyword of these. Moving onward always add keywords in the account without any such characters.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Ashish

Re: variations of keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot Ashish!