AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

variations of keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have encountered an issue and not sure how to act with it. I have an adgroup with the same keyword but in different variations - for example: online games, online-games, online -games.

I used to run that way for a while with nice results but yet different between the terms, however lately I have noticed that I get this message: This keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword. Does it mean that adwords find these variations as the same keyword? should I pause the other keywords or maybe leave them on and sometimes they will trigger the ad?

Thanks,

Re: variations of keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Haim,

"online games, online-games, online -games" these are all considered as same by Google. Google ignores these characters i.e. dot (.), hyphen (-), underscore (_), forward/back slashes (/ \) etc. and replace them with blank space. e.g. if someone has a keyword "online-games" in the account, and if someone searches for "online games" (without hyphen), it is matched to the keywords with hyphen that's present in your account.

I would recommend to keep only one keyword of these. Moving onward always add keywords in the account without any such characters.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Ashish

Re: variations of keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot Ashish!