Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

using subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jim J

Currently building an adwords campaign for a client that will have multiple products offered in multiple cities.  Our thought process was to build as follows (all under the same adwords account as this is for one company):

Parent: website.com

redwidget.city.website.com

bluewidget.city.website.com

greenwidget.city.website.com

Any issues that I should be aware of when using subdomains?

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Thank you

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: using subdomains

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
As long as this is within one account (following the principle of "one business - or account") - you should be fine;
Read the Policy ;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616010?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Jim, how are things?

I don't think there's any issue for you. All examples seems variations for product and cities, and as long as they have the same domain on the URL, you're fine.

I'd recommend in advance to create one campaign for each city. This will give you more control over your budget, results and specially, optimization process without impacting other regions.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ohhh... @leandrofm and I replied at the same exact second...

You have now the same answer from 2 sources.... Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Jim J,

One other thing to consider, the 25 character limit for the display URL. All of the above examples are longer than that.

If the sub-domains' pages are targeted at the city, this sounds good. If there's nothing specific about the targeted city on the pages, this might not be necessary. You can create several geo-targeted campaigns all to the same web site.

It depends on what your goals are for separating the domains.

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords