AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

using same keywords in search and display networks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried to get Google support to answer this question, but I got different answers so I thought I'd throw it out to the community. I have a set of keywords that describe the main products sold in this company I'm working with. I've used some of them for one search campaign and the rest in another campaign--so, no duplicates competing with each other. When I went on to the Display network, it seemed that I could use these same keywords (all of them) in each of the Display campaigns because they are targeting different topics and therefore wouldn't compete against each other. Is this accurate? I don't want to cause any problems within the Display campaigns due to having the same keywords across four different campaigns (but with different topics.) 

Thanks for your help!!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: using same keywords in search and display networks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Gatan,

You are correct, you can use the same keywords in each of your display campaigns. Now, there could still be times when the campaigns overlap. Picture your topics as a Venn Diagram, there is likely a center section where they overlap (depending on how varied your topics are) and ads could be entered into the same auction but, even still, that isn't a problem on the display network.

I hope this helps!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Gatan,

As Amy rightly said, in Display Network there are times where your keywords may compete with each other (Using same targeting methods with same Display keywords) but you can well ignore them as they would not be of much effect. It is strictly NOT recommended for the Search Network though.

- Prashanth Reniguntala

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

On the display network, unlike search, in which only one keyword  is matched to a search query, all keywords work collectively to define a theme. This theme is matched to relevant web pages  with similar themes.

Note this is a much broader match  than  in search (hence, keyword on display are  in broad match only).

Within the list of keywords, the system identifies a "leading keyword", to which the click is attributed.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

Just a small addition to what has been said above, if you add multiple targeting methods within a single ad group, it is going to restrict the number of impressions being displayed across GDN (Google Display Network) because basically it will take into consideration all the permutation combinations being applied from yourside and then finally showcase your ads across the network (depending upon keywords, topics, domains etc... within that ad group). So, keep this in mind when you apply multiple targeting methods within a single ad group.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj