Guide Me
star_border

using broad match modifier with city and state

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All-

I would like to use the Broad Match Modifer like so:  +St. Louis +MO

I can't find clear documentation for the BMM being applied to City and State, specifically if the searcher does not include the state, only the city. Or if the state abbreviation is considered a slight variation from the full state spelling (or vice versa) and is included under BMM.

Does anyone know if using the BMM on city and state like shown above will cover all of the following variations?:

Saint Louis, MO

St. Louis, Missouri

St Louis

Saint Louis

Thank you!

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike S
September 2015

Re: using broad match modifier with city and state

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

This is a nice question;

Technically speaking, my experience with other cities,  the answer is: yes. +Saint Louis +Missouri should cover all variants, including the prepositions (at, in, to...)

Having said that, the question is why do you use a (location)  BMM within a keyword?

St. Louis, MO is used by the user as Geo targeting by intent.  (A location as part of  the search query). The system will recognize St. Louis, MO as a location, whether you include it within the keyword or not. In other words: since St. Louis, MO is a big enough location: if you target it using Adwords Geo targeting, you don't need to add it in the keyword. -This would be a redundancy.

[Edit]: I was re-writing my reply while Pete posted his, you got the same answer from 2 sources....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Mike S,

You might want to reconsider splitting your ad groups out into separate campaigns. Quite often, when you include geographic terms in your keywords you will get hit with "Low Search Volume", meaning your ad won't show for those keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

A better option is to geo-target St Louis and include search intent. Then you don't need to include location keywords, Google figures it out. You can only geo-target at the campaign level, so if you are trying to target different areas with ad groups, split those out into separate campaigns and target each one similarly.

Best of Luck!

Pete
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

This is a nice question;

Technically speaking, my experience with other cities,  the answer is: yes. +Saint Louis +Missouri should cover all variants, including the prepositions (at, in, to...)

Having said that, the question is why do you use a (location)  BMM within a keyword?

St. Louis, MO is used by the user as Geo targeting by intent.  (A location as part of  the search query). The system will recognize St. Louis, MO as a location, whether you include it within the keyword or not. In other words: since St. Louis, MO is a big enough location: if you target it using Adwords Geo targeting, you don't need to add it in the keyword. -This would be a redundancy.

[Edit]: I was re-writing my reply while Pete posted his, you got the same answer from 2 sources....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete & MosheTLV -

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.  Unfortunately, I can't apply targeted geolocation to the campaign level due to there being other locations within the campaign.  

By using a location BMM within the keyword at the Ad Group level, I hope to provide better relevance for the search query and avoid keyword conflicts between some of the Ad Groups.

It sounds like using the BMM on city and state should hopefully cover all, or at least most, location variants. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thanks again!

-Mike

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Mike S,

You might want to reconsider splitting your ad groups out into separate campaigns. Quite often, when you include geographic terms in your keywords you will get hit with "Low Search Volume", meaning your ad won't show for those keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Pete!

-Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What about exact or phrase matches then? Are you suggesting an exact match keyword for [St Louis, MO product/service] is redundant? Wouldn't that keyword win over [product/service], given both are geo-targeted?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The reason location targeting in keyphrase itself can be used vs geo targeting is when you go on national scale. For example, if you want to target someone living in Houston, TX, searching for Restaurant in Seattle, WA.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was solved way back in 2014.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.