2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

user name/password already associated with an ad words acct but not so

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My supervisor has sent me a link trying to get me on our google ad words account but it keeps erroring stating my user id and password are already assigned to another account.  It should not be and I need that cleaned out ASAP so that we can set me up on the companies google ad words/analytics account.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: user name/password already associated with an ad words acct but no

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just chatted with someone from Google about this and fixed this issue for myself.

1. Login with your Adwords account (the one that is denied access from your supervisor's account).

2. Invite another email account that you have access to, give this email ADMIN access to your account- note this email address must not have an associated Adwords account, I suggest making a new gmail account.

3. Login to the email account that you invited and follow the instructions to get access to your original Adwords account- you'll have to confirm this invited email with your original email associated with the Adwords account.

4. Login to Adwords with the invited email address and TERMINATE access of the account you want to link to your supervisor's account.

5. Then follow your supervisor's link to get the email address you want linked to their account.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Beth,

Just wanted to add in a couple thoughts here.  If you were the only admin in the 'other account' then Alli's advise is perfect.  

Follow the steps above and you should be all set.  The idea here is to assign an alternative admin to the existing account (you can create a 'throwaway' gmail account just for this), so you can release the email address that you want to use on the new AdWords Account. No account can be left with no admin...

If you were not an admin, (someone else should be) you may need to find out who is so they can help terminate your access for you (I forget if the lower access levels can just disconnect, you may be able to do that too).  Without admin access, I'm not sure you can invite other users, which could pose the issue.

Let us know if you still have issues after trying the steps above.  We'll get you sorted out one way or another.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Beth,

When you get the email invitation and click on the link, you go to a Google page to sign up. When you get there, you need to click on "I already have an account" or it will create a new account rather than connect you to the invited account. I wish they would fix that and create a page just for accepting the invitations.

It's likely, given the description you have given, that this happened to you. Remember this when you try to fix this problem following the other posters' advice. Also, if you have a Google integrated login for services other than AdWords, you'll need to make sure you are completely logged out of all Google accounts before attempting to accept the invitation to another user (email). After logging out of AdWords, go to Google search. If your user name is in the upper-right part of your screen, you are still logged in. Log out from there and you'll be good to go.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords