AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

url::Category Description

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have seen this type of url in the placements (Under the Networks tab).  I do not understand if the added data after the "::" affects the functionality of the url.  When I want to manually inspect the websites, I just use the url portion of the url::category , or click on the option to few a sample page, but I am not certain if Google only uses the url portion to show my ads.  Also, when I go to edit, I can remove the "::category" and am allowed to type a url only, I just want to be certain this extra info is not preventing my ad from showing on the chosen website.  Can someone explain how this url::category works?!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: url::Category Description

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi whohuhwhatwhere,

Ceratain web sites define sections of the site in categories. These are usually large sites that cover a wide range of topics. It is to their advantage and advertisers' to allow ads to be targeted to these sections. I haven't really found a way to review category pages.

If you go to www.anysite.com::category you will most likely get a 404 page not found. That's what I get. If you go to the url, that won't necessarily be a page within the category that shows.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords