Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

url::Category Description

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have seen this type of url in the placements (Under the Networks tab).  I do not understand if the added data after the "::" affects the functionality of the url.  When I want to manually inspect the websites, I just use the url portion of the url::category , or click on the option to few a sample page, but I am not certain if Google only uses the url portion to show my ads.  Also, when I go to edit, I can remove the "::category" and am allowed to type a url only, I just want to be certain this extra info is not preventing my ad from showing on the chosen website.  Can someone explain how this url::category works?!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: url::Category Description

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi whohuhwhatwhere,

Ceratain web sites define sections of the site in categories. These are usually large sites that cover a wide range of topics. It is to their advantage and advertisers' to allow ads to be targeted to these sections. I haven't really found a way to review category pages.

If you go to www.anysite.com::category you will most likely get a 404 page not found. That's what I get. If you go to the url, that won't necessarily be a page within the category that shows.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords