Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

traffic estimator

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

What does it mean when you put in a search term in the adwords "traffic estimator" tool and it shows that there are a large number of monthly searches but then only outputs zeroes for "estimated avg. cost per click" and the other three columns too?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Understanding Traffic Estimator columns

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello wicksteed;

When encountered in the past in a question similar to yours, it took me a while, to figure the answer, because of changes made in the tool along years. My interpretation is :

The difference in data you noticed, is based on the source of the data, While "average number of searches" is the approximate 12-month average number of user queries for the keyword for those countries and l..." - This is an independent figure, from Google data on search queries.

The other columns are specific to your account, based on your campaign performance and settings (QS, CTR, Budget...). If those columns are 0, that means that there isn't enough data (in your campaign) to compile, or those are real estimates. (But remember - it's an estimate, don't put too much faith in it.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talk...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about this tool: https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/Explorer?__c=1000000000&__u=1000000000&__o=kt&ideaRequestType...

I don't currently have any adwords or adsense campaigns going. I'm using this tool to help me decide how my future campaign should be designed.

But when I put in some words it shows the CPC and everything else along with the monthly searches but then when I put in certain other words it only shows how many monthly results and shows zeroes for everything else. Sometimes the number of monthly results is high actually but it doesn't show what the avg CPC would be, so it's not because I'm using a too-obscure word or phrase.

Does google just not have certain data for some search terms?

Standalone Estimator tool

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

wicksteed

In that case, my view is that, there is not enough historical data to give statistically reliable estimates.(e.g many impressions, but not many clicks).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Standalone Estimator tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok, thanks for your help.