Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

tracking landing page URL with no conversion tag

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

How can I track a landing page where conversion tag is not present? The new úpgraded URLs areof any help in this case?

Kindly help me understand upgraded URLs and its tracking significance.

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: tracking landing page URL with no conversion tag

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jack,

I am not sure if I understood your question here.

Do you want to track number of conversions without implementing the conversion tracking code or what?

Can you elaborate on this.

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jack, 

To track conversions on a landing page, you need to place conversion code on that specific page. The new URL's are just to track the various parameters like source, medium, etc. that we tag in the destination URL or track through auto tagging. Please find below a link that expains upgraded URL's in detail: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6049217?hl=en Hope your doubt was cleared. Smiley Happy 

Regards 

Rohit Khanna

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

You can track performance by creating Goals in Analytics. You can find the information here.

For this to work, you AdWords and Analytics accounts have to be linked. You can then review your AdWords reports in Analytics, and see which campaigns, ad groups, and keywords have led to conversions (in this case, the conversions are Goals in Analytics). 

For example, you can set up one goal that counts how many times the Thank You page appears after someone either fills out a contact form or completes a purchase. Analytics will count it as a Goal completion and will show all such conversions in your AdWords reports when viewed through Analytics.

This can be very useful and can provide a lot of good data. However, it is a good idea to have the AdWords conversion code on your site as well. It is easy and fast to install. One benefit of this is that you can see the conversion data much faster, right within AdWords, and quickly take steps to optimize your AdWords campaign. Whereas if you're going through Analytics, you will have to get the info from Analytics and keep switching over to AdWords to make any changes. It's more efficient to have in AdWords.

The approach is to have Goals in Analytics and Conversions in AdWords.. This is how you will get the most data in the long term. And it will allow you to see any potential discrepancies in conversions tracked in Analytics and AdWords, to identify potential issues.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Yes! Suppose I have an ecommerce website where I showcase some products. Now, after click a user lands on a 3rd party website where we dont have any conversion tracking for our campaign. In such case, how can we track the sales/leads? At present we are just dependent on the website owner.

Thanks,

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

Thanks for the insightful answer.
What if the landing page has no conversion setup? I mean a typical case is a user sees my Display Ad
Lands on my website pag
On clicking a button, the page redirects the user to a 3rd party website.

Upgraded URL would help here or should I bank on event tracking? I repeat, I dont have any conversion tracking on the 3rd party website.

Thanks,
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack N
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Jack,

I would suggest you to read this post where @petebardo has given some of the excellent work arounds in case we don't have a thank you page and we want to track the conversions:-

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/conversion-tracking-with-no-thank-you-pag...

I hope this helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot. I would get in touch with my developer about it Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Pretty helpful.

Thank you so much Smiley Happy Really appreciate your detailed suggestion.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the link, Rohit