# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a display campaign.  

Query One:

If I had to structure campaign in two adgroups:

one targetting keywords

one remarketing to website visitors

1-Does this campaign structure make sense?  We have only a budge of 10-20 euros per day and its a niche area.  Are adgroups in display structured around targeting?

2-Does the budget get split evenly between the two adgroups?

Query Two:

The goal of this campaign is mainly brand awareness - I know that 'display text ads' lack recall when compared to 'display image ads'. So I would want only image ads to appear (not text image ads) as I had in mind to only use vCPM.

3- Can I stop 'display text ads' from showing if I use 'responsive ads'?Or is there a way to stop these from showing? 

4- I noticed the preview for the 'standard image ads' does not produce 'text image ads'. Should I use this instead, does it mean it will not show image text ads? I did however read the standard image ad is going to stop soon.

Any feedback, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Monique

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monique Z
April 2017

Re: stop image text ads from showing

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Monique,

You are very welcome. 

The AdWords Manager Account is used to mange individual AdWords accounts and looks the same whether you are managing old or new individual accounts. When an AdWords account is using the old interface, you have a gear icon in the upper right hand corner. When an AdWords account is using the new interface, you have three stacked dots in the upper right hand corner. There are many other differences but this makes identifying them really easy.

As for your reply, yes, you are correct on all fronts. But to expand on the last one, Ad Ideas... will be gone and so any of those features or how they work is useless now. The ads that were created before the retirement of this format will be converted to responsive ads (responsive means automated by the system). So now we have to see them as responsive ads. You do not have control over what is done with a responsive ad. When you create a responsive ad, you input a short headline and a long headline (they will be interchanged out according to the space the ad is shown in). And you input a description, name and url. Sounds like a text ad to me (lol). The system will make possibly hundreds or thousand of different ads from this, hence the term responsive (and the expanded thinking: automated).  

You would want to read up with this great AdWords Help File discussing tips for creating effective image ads.  

There are other ad types, too, and they each have their purpose & use. Ad Gallery (general purpose ads) are another option you may want to explore. 

For the purpose of clarity, these are all of the ad types with AdWords:

• Text Ad.
  • Responsive Ad.
  • Image Ad.
  • Ad Gallery.
  • App / Digital Content Ad.
  • Dynamic Search Ad.
  • Mobile App Engagement Ad.
  • Call-Only Ad.
  • Video Ad.

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

stop image text ads from showing

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Monique,

1),2) you are not going to split budget evenly between two ad groups, so you are better off with 1 campaign for display(brand awareness) and 1 campaign for display(remarketing). You can then set budget for each campaign or even set shared budget.

3) I don't think you can choose layout of responsive ads. I would recommend upload your own graphic banners for this purpose.

4) Not sure what you mean. Text ads in display campaigns will be gone soon. Responsive Ads will take its place.

Tomáš

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

1-Does this campaign structure make sense?

Sure.

Are adgroups in display structured around targeting?

Yes. 

2-Does the budget get split evenly between the two adgroups?

Nope. Budgets are set at the campaign level. One adgroup may accrue more cost/impressions than another, based on bids and targeting.

3- Can I stop 'display text ads' from showing if I use 'responsive ads'?Or is there a way to stop these from showing?

If you don't want to use text ads, then don't include any text ads in the adgroup.

4- I noticed the preview for the 'standard image ads' does not produce 'text image ads'.

The ad preview tool only works for search campaigns, if that's what you are referring to.

I did however read the standard image ad is going to stop soon.

"Standard" text ads will stop showing soon for display campaigns. Expanded text ads are the new "text ads". Google's language in the help doc is very misleading. I read that wrong myself when I first saw the announcement - But, it appears as though "expanded" text ads will still be available.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6341322?hl=en

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

capture20170401082612148.png@tomhalejr @Tomáš Kraus

Thank you both for your replies.

@tomhalejr

How can I not include text ads in ad group using keyword targeting? Is there a way?

When I press ad button, I get the following - pic attached. Now, if I create an ad with 'image ad', and I preview it in different sizes, no text image ad shows (unlike responsive ads). Does this mean that no text image ad will be used, or is it just to give you an idea?

Thanks,

Monique

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

The pic isn't rendering for me, but:

I assume we're talking about the display network here. Regardless of targeting (KW's, topics, remarketing, etc.) you can use whatever type of ads you want - Text ads, ad gallery image ads, uploaded image ads, responsive ads, etc., etc. Not all ads on the display network are "image" ads. Some ad types allow for more text than others, but there is no "text image ad" ad type.

I did just notice that within the AdWords UI you can't create (expanded) text ads anymore for display campaigns. You still can through the editor though, and that's why I didn't notice it. So when Google said "standard" text ads wouldn't be available anymore in the support doc they didn't mean "standard text ads", they meant text ads, and only through the AdWords UI. Definitely not confusing in any way. Smiley Happy

Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Wait a minute - Which AdWords UI are you using, the "old" one or the "new" interface? That could explain why @Tomáš Kraus and I don't know what you're referencing when it comes to the ads. Did Google not only changed the look of the interface, but also changed what they are calling things, and hasn't updated any help documentation???

Try uploading that image again @Monique Z

Tom

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Monique,

It looks like Tom and Tomas are providing some great help already so I just wanted to add a few things...

1) The forum images are broken across all communities as an update is pushed. This is going to prevent any uploaded images from showing. One things are reworked, your current image(s) will show to all again. 

2) Expanded text ads replaced standard text ads with "Search" campaigns. This was put into use at the end of January. These terms do not relate to anything regarding Responsive Ads with Display campaigns. 

3) Responsive Ads for Display refers to both text & images ads for any "Display" campaign. These are the type of text ads that can be used with a display campaign. 

4) To have complete control of your image ad, use the upload method (not responsive). Responsive is becoming more and more highly automated (think: no control) so the system can handle things for you. 

3) Starting this month (April 1, 2017), your "Ad ideas" ads - ads that you've created by scanning your website - will be automatically upgraded to responsive ads when you edit them. Going forward, you will no longer have the option to copy or create "Ad ideas" ads.

When you have a small & tight budget to spread around, make sure you employ negative keywords and check on your performance (placements, keyword search term report, and the display & dimensions tab) 3-4-5 times per day so that you can remove any unwanted actions that eat your budget. 

Note: AdWords Editor will catch up to AdWords UI very soon. Other changes coming, too, and help files will slowly catch up. Buckle up... 2017 will be a great year for AdWords. Smiley Happy

Hope this information helps.

Kind Regards,

James 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@tomhalejr 

Hi Tom, seems I am unable to upload any images until system is updated.  To be honest I have no idea which interface I am using! I am using the manager account, not sure if that makes any difference.

@James_Clemens

Dear James - Thank you for your input!

So to make sure I understood well -

- I cannot stop text image ads from showing if I use responsive ads. 

- I can only stop text image ads from showing, if I upload my own image ads.

And this is done by pressing on 'image ad' under +Ads, and then choosing the option to 'upload image'? Correct?

- If after pressing 'image ad', I choose the option to input url to 'get ad ideas', then even though it is not shown in preview of ads, I will still end up having text image ads. Correct? I understood this function will be removed, but I created a few ads using this (bec I loved how the image ads looked using this function Smiley Happy), so until these are updated, I know what is happening Smiley Happy.  

Thank you once again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monique Z
April 2017

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Monique,

You are very welcome. 

The AdWords Manager Account is used to mange individual AdWords accounts and looks the same whether you are managing old or new individual accounts. When an AdWords account is using the old interface, you have a gear icon in the upper right hand corner. When an AdWords account is using the new interface, you have three stacked dots in the upper right hand corner. There are many other differences but this makes identifying them really easy.

As for your reply, yes, you are correct on all fronts. But to expand on the last one, Ad Ideas... will be gone and so any of those features or how they work is useless now. The ads that were created before the retirement of this format will be converted to responsive ads (responsive means automated by the system). So now we have to see them as responsive ads. You do not have control over what is done with a responsive ad. When you create a responsive ad, you input a short headline and a long headline (they will be interchanged out according to the space the ad is shown in). And you input a description, name and url. Sounds like a text ad to me (lol). The system will make possibly hundreds or thousand of different ads from this, hence the term responsive (and the expanded thinking: automated).  

You would want to read up with this great AdWords Help File discussing tips for creating effective image ads.  

There are other ad types, too, and they each have their purpose & use. Ad Gallery (general purpose ads) are another option you may want to explore. 

For the purpose of clarity, these are all of the ad types with AdWords:

• Text Ad.
  • Responsive Ad.
  • Image Ad.
  • Ad Gallery.
  • App / Digital Content Ad.
  • Dynamic Search Ad.
  • Mobile App Engagement Ad.
  • Call-Only Ad.
  • Video Ad.

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@James_Clemens

Hi James

Thank you so much for clarifying  - super helpful!