Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

site suspended: usefulness for YouTube Promote Video

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone else having this problem? I am trying to promote a YouTube video, and from the YouTube page I hit "promote video" It opens my AdSense account, where I create a campaign. But no matter what I try, it always suspends the campaign because it says "site suspended" and it says the reason is "usefulness." I'm not sure what else to try or why my ads are not being approved.
Help?
thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason F,

This help community is strictly for the AdWords platform. You should direct your inquiry to the AdSense help community.

Kind Regards,

James

Re: site suspended: usefulness for YouTube Promote Video

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was mistaken. It actually is AdWords that I was redirected to from
YouTube. My apologies for the mistake
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason F
December 2016

Re: site suspended: usefulness for YouTube Promote Video

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason F,

No problem at all. 

Have you visited your AdWords account to see the status of it? Does it say your site is suspended or that your AdWords account is suspended? There are two very different things. 

When a site warning says site usefulness, this is saying the website URL used for the ad's landing page is either thin with content, lacking expected content, or is providing a lower than expected use to visitors once they arrive at it. AdWords wants to ensure a great user experience for surfers and not simply absorb advertiser's spend/budget. Everything is about serving great ads, great products, great services, great content... a great user experience.

So, if we think about all of that, we can begin to review things a little bit more.

Let's take a hat store for example. Fred's Hat Store will be for our use here.

Fred's Hat Store has a website and his products are hats of all types for men, women and children. He also offers a service where he cleans, restores and repairs all of the hats. Fred decides to run some ads to bring more awareness of his store so that he can sell more hats and even repair some, too.

Fred opens an AdWords account and sets up a campaign. He also sets up some ad groups and some keywords and targeting... and he adds a spend budget and enables campaigns. 

Fred created ads for each of the products and services. The ads align nicely with the ad groups and keywords. Everything looks great and is set up according to the AdWords Best Practices. Everything seems great and he goes to bed and comes back in 24 hours and checks his AdWords campaigns only to see they are disabled. He checks his email and sees a message from AdWords that his ads are not active as the website is suspended for usefulness. He then wonders what could be wrong with his website... and asks someone to look it over.

When I go to it, I find a three page website with fifty words on each page. The front page has a photo of a cat wearing a hat and big bold letters saying FRED SELLS THE BEST HATS. Then there is a bunch of words near the bottom with no sentence structure, spelhing (spelling) errors and worse. It looks like: hats, red hets, blue hats, mens hats, lady hats, boy hats, animal hats, pink hats, girls dress hats, hats of every kind. At the bottom is his store address and a phone number. He has two other web pages that are called clothing4355 and accessories8374. Those pages look just as bad as the front page and each one has a web form asking for the visitor to give over all their information and there are several links to other sites that are about pools, airplanes, medicine, food, bars, cats, and the like. 

Winding back to my thoughts... great user experience: where is the user experience for visitors here? It's in the tank. It's terrible. I was excited when I saw the ad and I clicked it expecting to learn about dress hats since I want a new Fedora. The ad served me well... up until I landed on the website, to which I was sad, confused and greatly disappointed. I now close it out and resume surfing and am left, as the shopper, wondering if the next thing I click on is going to be relevant for my search needs and wants. Who failed the shopper here: Google? Fred's Hat Store? Actually they both get the blame. This makes Google regret being aligned with Fred's Hat Store and they disapprove all ads. 

Okay, enough imaginary talk. Let's shift gears. 

Fred's Hat Store should have a fast loading, mobile responsive website that has:

• Front page - full menu with links to every page in the website. 70% wording/30% images (all about hats)
  • Contact page - full menu with links to every page in the website. Store address, hours, phone number, web form to send messages to manager.
  • Privacy page - full menu with links to every page in the website. Disclosing terms of use, policy for cookies, collection of personal info, etc.
  • Men's Hats page - full menu with links to every page in the website. 70% wording/30% images (all about men's hats)
  • Lady's Hats page - full menu with links to every page in the website. 70% wording/30% images (all about lady's hats)
  • Children's Hats page - full menu with links to every page in the website. 70% wording/30% images (all about children's hats)

All of the information on the website is self-contained, not pushing visitors to click links that go to other websites. It should be a website that presents itself as a hat expert or someone that truly sells hats and operates a business properly. It should inform visitors about hats. It should provide a value to the world wide web, to Google, to any visitor to it. It should not contain junk, fluff, false content, malware, images of nude people dancing in the moonlight. It should be a website about hats, nothing more.

This great article by Google AdWords gets into the landing page experience in a much more detailed way... although it might not be as entertaining as my explanation.  

I hope this helps in some way. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason F,

You are very welcome. Best wishes on your business journey. 

Kind Regards,

James