1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

similar keywords for different ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

can two different ad groups contain same key words ?

if yes, then would it affect the ranking

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: similar keywords for different ad groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ravi,

Yes, you can have the same keywords in multiple ad groups.  It does not affect the ranking directly as only one ad will be entered into an ad auction per search query.  In essence, there is a mini-competition within your account to determine the best possible keyword match before the ad is entered into the auction.

You can read more here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66292

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok, but when i hovered around the icon, it read that my ad is not displaying, cos the same keywods is being used inmore than one ad groups

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ravi,

Are you getting the same message for all the instances of the keyword in question in every ad group where this keyword appears? What are the impressions looking like on these keywords?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

can you pls be a bit more specific and simple, as i am not that tech savvy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ravi,

You said "when i hovered around the icon, it read that my ad is not displaying, cos the same keywords is being used in more than one ad groups"

What I am suggesting is that if your keyword is 'Antique Furniture' you hover over the icon for 'Antique Furniture' in every ad group to see if the message is the same.  I'm guessing that because only one ad can be shown, you may have one instance of this Keyword that is performing better than the others and therefore could be the only instance that will show ads.

Out of curiosity, why are you using the same keywords in multiple ad groups?

-Tom

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ravi,

I should probably add to this that I read "similar keywords" in the title and "same keywords" in your post. 

These are two very different scenarios.  Within the same campaign, chances are there is no need to have the same keyword with the same match type in multiple ad groups. 

Are these keywords that you referenced all the same match type?

-Tom

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hello Ravi,

Yeah as PPCBossman suggested,

You should not duplicate keywords in single campaign. It will create competition within your campaign.

Single keyword can be use with different match type but NO duplicacy required.

Thanks,
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Las veces que he tenido keywords similares mi cpc aumentó y mi ctr descendió. Yo no lo recomiendo

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Las veces que he tenido keywords similares mi cpc aumentó y mi ctr descendió. Yo no lo recomiendo

English Version: The times I have had similar keywords my cpc increased and my ctr went down. I do not recommend.

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’