AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

should we use all match type in a single adgroup ??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

Should we use all match type in a single adgroup like :

Adgroup Name : Custom Web Development

Keywords : Custom Web Development, "Custom Web Development",  [Custom Web Development]

Or we need to craete a another adgroup for exact match or other.

Please let me know.

Regards

Ashwani Kaushik

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: should we use all match type in a single adgroup ??

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ashwin,

Well, there is no right or wrong answer here. You can create separate ad groups for all match types and you can keep them together as well. Normally, the thing that you should look at for deciding whether to create a separate ad group is primarily if you can show a different, unique ad for the keyword.

However, in certain cases, when you know that your exact match keyword is going to be the one that dominates the searches and you would like to allocate a specific amount of budger to it to get it more visibility, you can keep it in a different campaign altogether so you have all the flexibilty you need to make the best out of that term.

In the example that you have given, I'd keep all of them in the same ad group. Do try to use the (Broad Match Modifier) match type as well.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi ashwink88,

The main advantage of using multiple match types with the same keyword is that it gives you more granularity when you are running reports on how your keywords are performing. However, as Raghu pointed out, it can make it a bit more complicated to try and optimise the account as you are dealing with statistics for the same keyword on 3 or 4 different match types. 

Vicky is also spot on in keeping the keywords in the same ad group, otherwise these keywords would be competing against each other, which won't be helping your campaign!

This practice also doesn't affect your Quality Score as we only look at the exact match version of the keyword when determining Quality Score. This means that any broad match expansions for your keywords are not taken into account when Quality Score is calculated. 

Good luck with the campaigns!

A. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ashwin,

Well, there is no right or wrong answer here. You can create separate ad groups for all match types and you can keep them together as well. Normally, the thing that you should look at for deciding whether to create a separate ad group is primarily if you can show a different, unique ad for the keyword.

However, in certain cases, when you know that your exact match keyword is going to be the one that dominates the searches and you would like to allocate a specific amount of budger to it to get it more visibility, you can keep it in a different campaign altogether so you have all the flexibilty you need to make the best out of that term.

In the example that you have given, I'd keep all of them in the same ad group. Do try to use the (Broad Match Modifier) match type as well.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

This really is an intereting question and there are pros and cons for both cases. I think a wiki article on this topic can be great

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ashwani Kaushik,

You can use this all match type in single ad group.

When you use same keyword in different ad group you will face this problem that your ads are not showing for them, so i suggest you that use this in a single ad group.

adwords

Regards

-Vicky

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ashwani,

You can create different adgroups for match types. But it is a bit difficult for optimization. If you decide to go with match type adgroups you can do the following to reduce double serving,

Add negatives like 

{Custom Web Development} & "Custom Web Development" keywords in Broad ad group

[Custom Web Development] keyword in Phrase ad group

Please correct me if i am wrong implementing this strategy.

Raghu 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@raghu your way is correct

although ther is no need to ad exact negativs in broad ad group- phrase should be enough

as others said there is no good answer to this question, as in most questions about adwords the answer begins with 'it depends..''

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi ashwink88,

The main advantage of using multiple match types with the same keyword is that it gives you more granularity when you are running reports on how your keywords are performing. However, as Raghu pointed out, it can make it a bit more complicated to try and optimise the account as you are dealing with statistics for the same keyword on 3 or 4 different match types. 

Vicky is also spot on in keeping the keywords in the same ad group, otherwise these keywords would be competing against each other, which won't be helping your campaign!

This practice also doesn't affect your Quality Score as we only look at the exact match version of the keyword when determining Quality Score. This means that any broad match expansions for your keywords are not taken into account when Quality Score is calculated. 

Good luck with the campaigns!

A. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello,

I too perfer to keep all match type in same adgroup. I prefer to keep Exact match keyword bid higher then broad and phrase. For Instance: At start, if i keep Exact match bid: $1.00, Phrase match bid: $0.75 & broad match bid: $0.50.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Here is some food for thought

If you have exact and broad match in same copies

1. you can make a very relevant ad copy for exact match because you are sure about the intent of the user

2. for broad match your copy might be more generic

although having diffent matchtypes in diffrent ad groups is a lot more work for acount structure as well as managing it but it also has certain advantages of more relevant ad copies

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ashwani,

I would suggest you keep those keywords in one ad group.

For one of my client, I had split my ad groups based on the match type. However, I saw a drop in impressions. When I ran a keyword disagnosis for the 'Broad' ad group, it said that my keywords are getting triggered via another ad group. So in totality I was kind of bidding against myself.

The best way to run it would be to have all the match type in one ad group, with the maximum bid for exact and lowest for the broad keyword, as Neha said. Over time you will have all the performance statistics and you can be the best judge for which keyword you want to continue. If you see that one particular keyword out of the three has done exceptionally well, then you can even create a different campaign for it, running just one keyword, allocating a set budget. Try and test and do what is best for your campaign.

Hope this helps.

-Neeti

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn