AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

search volume anomalies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone noticed the difference between search volumes when using Keyword Planner (KP) versus Keyword Tool (KT)?

It appears the KP gives same search volume even if you change the match type.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: search volume anomalies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello. The Keyword Planner uses only Exact Match volumes, while the Keyword Tool used all (according to your selection). In Keyword Planner, as opposed to the Keyword Tool, you don't change the match type in order to get estimates for that match type, but rather to add them to your plan.

It's a different approach and it may be a little confusing especially for those of us used to the Keyword Planner.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, in addition to AdWiser I would like to say that keyword planner does offer estimates for other match types too, but these are influenced by the bid that you set . If you set the highest bid available, you can see the full traffic that another match type brings. 

Here is how :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Huge-discrepancy-btween-the-keyword-tool-and...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
i dont know what that means

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello,

The Keyword Tool shows data for Desktops and Laptops (for Broad Match by default)
The Keyword Planner shows data for all devices. (for Exact Match only)

You can read here about the differences between the two tools
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229?hl=en
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.