2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

restatus of "no" but I do have impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My settings are search network only. When I hover over the status of one of keywords it says it is not showing that keyword. But I have impressions for that keyword today. How can I have impressions for that keyword if it is not showing and I am in search only?

Re: restatus of "no" but I do have impressions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sam S,

What is the message you get? Google will have a diagnosis/reason for your ad not showing. It could be that you lost the auction to other competitors if your bid is low. And during the course of the day when your daily budget becomes depleted this also happens.

I can only guess it means that your ads were shown before, but at that exact moment aren''t anymore. This is the only way I can think of this making any sense. But I suspect it could be an inconsistent information.

I do wonder about this too, because I get this all the time on my Display Network campaigns. I have impressions and clicks, but Google keeps telling me my ads aren't showing. I stopped caring about it after a while, because I'm getting my results with my modest budget and I won't break the bank with high bids.

I suggest you keep tabs on those keywords. Like, check impressions and clicks at a given time, then save this report (or take a screenshot) and check again later in the day. If the numbers haven't progressed, then it would mean that this is a real issue.

Let me know how you get on. I'll do the same with my GDN placements and report back.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for this response. I'm getting "Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search result."
I know that our bid is low, and we may look into raising it, but I'm just wondering how we have impressions if we're not showing up. My understanding is that if you have display that means it might show up in gmail or youtube or other partners but search only it should only show up on the google search page...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sam S,
Sorry for taking a bit long on the reply.
So, in your situation you have a Search Network campaign and your ads aren't showing on the 1st page results. I think this is perfectly possible if your bid isn't high enough. When you look at the CPC bids column Google will even tell you if it's enough for showing on the 1st page. Sometimes it will tell you it is below first page and I've read in some threads this is not always accurate. So this is another thing to keep in mind.

In your case, you may still get clicks and impressions from users who go to the 2nd page of Search Engine results. This must be the source of the impressions you have been getting if your ads are below first page.

If you're low on budget, stick to your objectives anyway and don't feel pressured to raise your bids to 1st page status - sometimes it can be very competitive and your daily budget may get depleted if you do that. Just make sure that you've set realistic objectives within your budget and you're meeting them (whether it's clicks, leads or sales).

Regarding my promise about the GDN placements data: I can confirm that my placements which were diagnosed with "ads not showing due to higher competitor bids" still got some impressions and clicks anyway in the following 2 hours. So this diagnose message may tell me that my ads aren't showing at that precise moment of checking (and will be losing many other auctions because my bids aren't as high as other competitor's). But it doesn't mean that my ads won't show anymore. There are moments when my competitors won't enter the auction for one reason or another (say, spent budget or ad scheduling) and that's probably when my ads will show.
If we can draw a parallel between Display and Search Networks, I think the case I just described would be GDN's equivalent to "below first page" bidding.