AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

remarketing for search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi everyone. 

ive added remarketing for search to some of my campaigns, raising the bid in 30% comparing my default bid. now, a few days later i my ads show a massage saying "your ads cant be shown to people who are not include in your remarketing lists". has anyone else got this massage and is that a bug or have i done something wrong? my regular bid i high enough, my quality score is good and one i now disabled the RFS my ads started showing regulary again. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ODED s
September 2015

Re: remarketing for search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i got an answer from google. when i enable remarketing for search (forgive me for the terminology moshe but its shorter), the campaigns ads will be serves to my remarketing audienses only. which means that the right thing to do would be to duplicate the search campaigns and to use one copy for search and the other one for remarketing audiences.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Oded ! Welcome to the adwords forum !

My guess is that your audience didn't reach the 1000 cookies threshold ( unlike the remarketing for Display which only requires 100 cookies in the list ) . Can you please check how many people ( actually cookies on some browsers ) do you have for that audience ?

That message is a generic one and it translates to me to "We can only show those ads to people in your audience not to other people " , because normally the ad preview tool is for previewing what every user could see and now the campaign was restricted only to the people you have in the RLSA audience.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi adrian, thanks for your reply.
i have more then 40,000 people on my remarketing for search lists and the problem is my ads not showing for people outside my remarketing lists and not within them so i don't think that is the problem.
oded.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Then my second guess is that the Ad preview tool was not updated to provide useful feedback in the case of RLSA which was released a month and a half ago on 25 June .

Next steps to check are the exclusions : you might have excluded either the same audience or some categories or topics.

I had to wait 6 days to receive traffic for a RLSA campaign and for a "similar audience" campaign also.

You can also contact google by phone using the number here ( or the link on the page which takes you to your local number  )

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello ODED s

First; let's set the terminology "straight":

Since the remarketing list used is the one for users visited the SITE, irrespectively to their "past search queries" (before visiting the site), and NOT a list based on a user's search query, -  the name is Remarketing list for search Ads. It's a list that was generated by visiting the site and serves the search campaign. Remarketing for Search is a different targeting methods: It is based on the user's search queries - This is not (yet) offered by Google, and has huge privacy implications.

As for the technical question :

Did you link your existing list to the audiences tab on after clicking  "all campaigns"

Since "classic" search campaign does not offer remarketing, you need to find a way to link an existing list to a search campaign, through the audiences section of the shared library. This is done  by "sharing" a display campaign remarketing list (i.e your current list)  with  the "shared library" , and then,  linking it with the search campaign.

-Moshe

Read more:

About AdWords remarketing lists for search ads

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I do not understand the "linking" guide Moshe provided. The way to target previous visitors from search campaigns ( not Display as he suggested) is to have an active Adwords Tag ( the google analytics audience does not add visitors to the RLSA column ).

After this you will see in the Audiences Tab 2 columns of past visitors, the first column is for remarketing to search campaigns and the second column is for remarketing to display campaigns.

If in the first column you have over 1000 visitors, you can start adding the audience as a targeting method in a search only campaign. 

If you have added a Display Campaign audience to a search campaign, you get zero impressions.

This is an example of incomplete audiences for search since they do not have 1000 members yet (red rectangle) and with green rectangle are the audiences for Display (for the same rule ).

sample-audience-RLSA.png

Is your 40.000 audience on the second column, which I have marked with green ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I just realised there could be another problem leading to zero impressions. If you have visitors from a campaign in a City , let's call it City1 and you want to use RLSA in a campaign targeting a different area, let's call it City2 , it is only logical that the visitors from City1 cannot search something in City2, if you have setup Location Targeting.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian;
As I said, there are NO previous visitors form search campaigns .You "misperceive"  the whole concept of RLSA: There is a list of past visitors to your site that serves also the search campaigns.

Though, technically (based on the screenshot), you did it correctly using the "shred library"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess what I am trying to say is that if he uses a Google analytics remarketing audience, which shows visitors only in the Display Network column and a zero value in the first column for RLSA, this can be a cause of zero impressions in the RLSA campaign.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ODED s
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i got an answer from google. when i enable remarketing for search (forgive me for the terminology moshe but its shorter), the campaigns ads will be serves to my remarketing audienses only. which means that the right thing to do would be to duplicate the search campaigns and to use one copy for search and the other one for remarketing audiences.