Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

"mute this ad" (small 'X' button) disappeared

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I used to have "mute this ad" (small 'X' button) option on advertisements. Today, I have studied your documents about advertisement, user proferences, etc and at the end, 'X' button disappeared. I just have 'AdChoice' button, but not 'X' button.

I am not able to find any help on internet, so I am turning to you for an advice.

Thank you, best regards,
Lukas Palovsky

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "mute this ad" (small 'X' button) disappeared

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Lukas,

Welcome to the community.

I believe they have removed the x feature but the Ads Preferences Manager may be of interest you as it gives the ability to remove or add what topics are of interest or disinterest to you. You can also change the demographics also if you wish.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Scott,

thank you for the input.

I have done reading about Ads Pref.Manager. Until I started to play with it (disabled, enabled back, etc), I had "X" button. After my "playing", "X" button disappeared. And in fact, I started to "play" with it based on an input from one of my colleagues, who used to read: http://elcomercio.pe/ ... If you select any article there and scroll through that page, you get an ad on the left side, that is covering the text. As I said, first I had "X" but after playing with Ads Preferences, it just disappeared. I tried to clear browsing memory, removed temp files, cookies, etc, but it seemed that someting else got screwed up.

Anyway, I also recognized, that ads on other pages that I would visit now, were without "X" feature.

I have done something, that disabled "X" on my pc.

Lukas

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Lukas,

I am not entirely sure why the mute button has disappeared but I am personally wondering whether the feature has been removed completely. I hadn't touched those Ads Preference settings at all but I no longer see the small x either on any ads.

Perhaps another member will have more knowledge on this, otherwise the question might be best suited to the AdSense forum as the subject is more relevant to that product.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.