4.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

"keyword" Sydney or "keyword" in Sydney region

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am selling vanities in Sydney, is the keyword "vanities sydney" better than "vanities"? I have set Sydney as my target location,if my keyword is "vanities" someone in other city searches "vanities Sydney" it will come up, right? Thanks for help
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: "keyword" Sydney or "keyword" in Sydney region

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Lukelee,

RPquest provided some good information. If you are targeting Sydney and have the advanced location option 'People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location', people in Syndey searching for 'vanities' will see your ad and people outside of Sydney searching for 'vanities in Sydney' will also see your ad. 

As you are targeting Sydney, it is not necessary to include Sydney in your keyword as your location targeting is essentially already doing that for you.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi lukelee,

It depends on you settings on whether or not your keywords/ads will show for people searching in other locations besides Sydney.

If you have Exclude: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location", your keyword shouldn't show up for anyone other than in Sydney.

If you have Exclude "People in my excluded location", then others outside your excluded locations will be able to see your keywords/ads.

Of course, this also all depends upon your Locations (Targeted locations) and your (Excluded locations) settings.

Depending on what you want to accomplish, you *may* want to consider phrase match or atleast modified broad match like +vanities +Sydney or "vanities in Sydney".  These are just suggestions, the ultimate decisions are yours to make.

Hope this helps,

RPquest

See http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/How-to-Use-and-Understand-Location-Targetin... 

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

RPquest is right on, when it comes to KW terms with Sydney as part of term "vanities sydney". However, if Sydney is not part of the term, "vanities" may not trigger an ad to show for someone searching from outside of your targeted area, because there is no location modifier in the KW term.

Which is "better than" -  What are you measuring to determine performance?

Whatever KW's perform best are the terms you should use. Which performs better "vanities sydney" or "vanities"?

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Lukelee,

RPquest provided some good information. If you are targeting Sydney and have the advanced location option 'People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location', people in Syndey searching for 'vanities' will see your ad and people outside of Sydney searching for 'vanities in Sydney' will also see your ad. 

As you are targeting Sydney, it is not necessary to include Sydney in your keyword as your location targeting is essentially already doing that for you.