AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

"Rarely shown due to low quality score" in status column?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm setting up a campaign and adding keywords. I think I have a pretty good list, but next to a few - ones which did show high global search traffic and are specific to my audience - there is in orange warning in the Status column: "Rarely shown due to low quality score".

This is vague enough that I can't really deduce anything. To what exactly is this referring? To give this question context, the subject area is web design and an innocuous and legitimate basic web design service. So I don't understand exactly how "quality score" plays a role here. 

Thank you for any guidance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: "Rarely shown due to low quality score" in status column?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Seeeker,

Watch this video with Hal Varian - it will help you understand QS better.

The good news is that QS can be changed (improved) if you'll improve the campaign and if you'll gain high CTR.

read more abotu QS here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454010

Good luck,

Asaf

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Seeeker,

I would take a look at the relevancy of your keywords to your ads and site content. QS can be easily improved just by making a few strategic changes to ad text. Are you following best practices for your ads? Here is a great help page which outlines all the aspects a successful ad should have.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704392&topic=16339&ctx=topic&path=1713...

A main area to look at in order to increase your QS would be including keywords in your ads.

Hope this has helped.

Thanks,

Liam Bendelow

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi seeeker

I'd like to point out two very good articles written by two Community users:

1. Keyword tool

2. Keyword lists 

Is you still feel you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Best,

Zee
G+

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all the replies. Honestly though, I've been doing a fair amount of research already picking out keywords and going about this sensibly. So - with all due respect, because yes I am a beginner with Adwords - I don't need a Keywords 101 tutorial, or even a Quality Score 101 tutorial. From those suggested links I have seen most of that info before, unless I am miussing something (and thank you as well).

I have not run any ads yet, I am just setting it up. It's just the warnings that come up in this process are too vague. The keywords in question were actually suggested by the Adwords Category suggestion tool itself. They are totally simple and match a typical query for the service I am offering.

So I just don't get what the problem is, and the orange warning is too vague, without offering any indication of a specific issue. Again, when it says "Rarely shown due to low quality score" what is it referring to? Is it referring to empirical data for the quality score of other sites that have used that phrase in the past? Or is it referring to my specific campign (ad + keywords + my site)? which is not yet live? I have followd all the basic steps in targeting relevant keywords and writing a decent ad. So I have no idea what the issue is. I guess I could just delete those keywords in quesiton and not bother with it.

Honestly it would be nice if someone could walk me through the process and see what exactly what I am doing but that would probably mean hiring someone.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Can you give us more details? An example of one of your keywords?
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK I guess I'll just spill all the beans.

My business is setting up artist portfolio websites using Wordpress. And I have made this keyword list:

portfolios templates

portfolio website design

how to create an online portfolio

personal portfolio website

portfolio website builder

build portfolio website

create portfolio website

how to make an online portfolio

make a digital portfolio

how to create a portfolio website

All have an "Eligible" status, except those in bold which are labelled: "Rarely shown due to low quality score"

Is the status determined in relation to your written ad? Or is it from other general data?

I could ask numerous other additional questions like, is this too many? Do minor variations matter? ("create a portfolio" v. "how to create a portfolio website")

Thanks for any guidance...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
So is this a new account?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

So have you created multiple adgroups that cover the themes below?

Like adgroup 1: "how to" related keywords
adgroup 2: templates related keywords
adgroup 3: build
adgroup 4: design

this way you have ad text appearing that is relevant to the theme builds CTR (a major component of Quality Score (QS).

If the account is new or an older on in good shape with good performance history then it may just be a case of lower search volume keywords that Google does not have enough data on or keywords that have not been used well by other advertisers and now have a poor history. New keywords have no history with you so they history comes from the other advertisers. What you do with the keyword is up to you in managing a healthy account.

This discussion on quality score is a good one and worth the read http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-sauce/m-p/...

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes.