AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

"Generic" Keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there

Question about targeting ads... I'm mostly trying to get local businesses to find my ads so I am targeting my ads with my city in the key words (for example New York Shoe Company as opposed to Shoe Company)

Just to play around, I did add the keyword "Shoe Company" and it's getting many many impressions and a CTR of about 0.25 to 0.50. Where as my locally targeted keywords are getting very low impressions with low clicks.

I have 2 questions..

1. The keywords without the city in them, are they just being shown to people in my city since I did target the ad only in that city or are they being shown all over the world/country? For example I had 615 impressions for "Shoe Company" and only 16 for "New York Shoe Company"

2. Should I put all my energy in optimizing the quality of the page for "shoe company" or "new york shoe company?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos V
April 2016

Re: "Generic" Keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If your campaign is all features then this option will be available as campaigns with standard does not give this feature.

You need to go to a particular campaign >> settings >> all settings.

location adv_censored.jpg

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Carlos,

1) All ads are visible to other users also who are interested in or searching for your city even if they are not physically present in your city.
If you want to stick only to the users physically present within you city, you need to change the campaign settings.

campaign setting >> location option(advanced) >>
Target : People in my targeted location
Exclude: People in my excluded location

This setting will restrict the users only to the targeted geographic location by you.

2) You can check all the components of the quality score and work accordingly(having low value) for the optimization.

You can check the quality score components by hovering the cursor on the status bubble corresponding to the keyword within the keyword tab.

There are a lot of ways to boost CTR:

Using ad-extensions

using negative keywords(form search query report as well as general)

using different keyword match types and a lot more.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you.. I think I had the ad location set to Canada... I was able to see it in the campaign > locations section...

But how do I get to the advanced section you mention to target/exclude?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos V
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If your campaign is all features then this option will be available as campaigns with standard does not give this feature.

You need to go to a particular campaign >> settings >> all settings.

location adv_censored.jpg

Regards