AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

problems with location targeting in Greece (Rhodes in particular)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings,

I'm creating a campaing for Rhodes island in Greece. Since I can not define specific cities in Greece (adwords seems to be lacking this information) it has to be on a national level. 

However to compensate for that I'm using a "location extension" with a radious 150km around my office on Rhodes island(I have linked the google places information).

While I'm testing the keywords with "ad preview and diagnosis" and define my test location as 36.43333328.216667 (these are the coordinates of Rhodes island since google adwords cannot pick up names of greek cities) the ad won't appear because it's been "Restricted by targeting", as if the coordinates are wrong(which isn't the case especially when the radius is 150km around the spot) or setting the location for the preview doesn't not work.

I'm so lost... what could the problem be?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fotis k
September 2015

Re: problems with location targeting in Greece (Rhodes in particular)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fotis, welcome to the Community.

Location targeting isn't great in Europe but it sounds like you ought to be OK with the settings you have.  Have you tried any other options with the Ad Preview tool (such as Rhodes Town or just Rhodes itself)?

Does your Campaign show any activity for impressions or clicks?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there; 

Greece is unique; You can only target the whole country;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXclFw9v2cWdEtuZUJPY1dhR0RmQ2tvZkxPeVMxT1E#gid=0

Thus; "no point" in trying to  "Geo target" (in Greece)  by using Geo coordinates or by a radius targeting. Within Greece, to target a specific location (e.g Rhodes), you need to target by intent. (i.e. include the location name as a word within   the keyword phrase.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fotis, welcome to the Community.

Location targeting isn't great in Europe but it sounds like you ought to be OK with the settings you have.  Have you tried any other options with the Ad Preview tool (such as Rhodes Town or just Rhodes itself)?

Does your Campaign show any activity for impressions or clicks?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there; 

Greece is unique; You can only target the whole country;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXclFw9v2cWdEtuZUJPY1dhR0RmQ2tvZkxPeVMxT1E#gid=0

Thus; "no point" in trying to  "Geo target" (in Greece)  by using Geo coordinates or by a radius targeting. Within Greece, to target a specific location (e.g Rhodes), you need to target by intent. (i.e. include the location name as a word within   the keyword phrase.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Seems this is the case (I got a similar reply from the local Greek community). Strangely enough, while preview won't bring up any ads, I've been running this "location extended" campaign for almost a week now and there have been something like 20 impressions and 5 clicks(close to zero, but still not zero), so I have to assume that in some very specific scenarios it does work, even in greece. Makes one wonder what triggers these ads...