Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

problems with geographical targetting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am managing an adwords campaign for a real estate expert located in Waterloo, near Brussels.  I selected in the campaign parameters a radius of 25km around Waterloo in order to find customers near to my clients'offices.  After a few days, my client reported to me that about 90% of all requests come from the North of Brussels.  Nearly no demand from the center or the south of Brussels, despite the fact that these regions are included in the geographical target.  This seems weird and not related to the market itself (same density of population, etc...).  Do you have an explanation ?  Can it be due to the conversion optimizer ?  thanks for helping me !

Patricia Vanderlinden

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: problems with geographical targetting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Check your advanced location targeting settings.  If people are outside of your targeted area but still use the location of the targeted area in their serach query the ads can be shown.  Go to SETTINGS and advanced location targeting and see the options for targeting physical location - search intent etc.  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722038

Also use the Geographic report under Dimensions to see where the traffic is coming from.  Once on the DIMENSIONS > Geographic report see the COLUMNS button to include the columns that are important to you to do your analysis i.e. country, regoin, city, etc.  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453994

AND Smiley Happy also know that you can exclude areas under the location targeting feature.  If you want to leave the advanced location targeting feature as is you can do that but exclude certain cities, metros, states, etc.  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722040

Questions welcome!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Check your advanced location targeting settings.  If people are outside of your targeted area but still use the location of the targeted area in their serach query the ads can be shown.  Go to SETTINGS and advanced location targeting and see the options for targeting physical location - search intent etc.  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722038

Also use the Geographic report under Dimensions to see where the traffic is coming from.  Once on the DIMENSIONS > Geographic report see the COLUMNS button to include the columns that are important to you to do your analysis i.e. country, regoin, city, etc.  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453994

AND Smiley Happy also know that you can exclude areas under the location targeting feature.  If you want to leave the advanced location targeting feature as is you can do that but exclude certain cities, metros, states, etc.  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722040

Questions welcome!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

HI Patricia,

you said you had radius targeting enabled, but which targeting options do you have set on campaign level?

I am talking about the poin "Location options (advanced)". Please tell us what you have for "Exclude" and "Target"

2. To my knowledge the conversion optimizers focuses on ad position and cpc, not on geographical targeting. What I am suspecting is that people are searching for broad keywords, so google can make no specific targeting for based on the query. Instead Google has to use IP. Maybe the south of brussels does have IP connections which have their ISP outside of the 25 km radius.

So try to get an IP sample from a person who lives in the south of brussels and check where the geolocation of that IP is. If it is outside of your targeting radius you have the answer. To double-check, check an IP of your already converted customers and check their geolocation.

T

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot, i have to investigate this IP address issue.

The advanced options are:

Target: people in the target or interested in the targetted area

Exclusions: people in the excluded area (but no area excluded).

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Not sure what chasing the IP address around in your web logs will accomplish. Might be much easier to just run that Geo report under DIMENSIONS. Unless I misunderstood what ArneTR was suggesting you do.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey,

I think Kim's suggestion regarding the Geo report will probably help understnadning the problems Smiley Happy

You can enter this  step-by-step guide about "Measuring geographic performance"

Good luck,

Asaf

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just run the report you mention and...I get totally lost.  I have visits from Flanders based on the physical location.  This region is definitely outside the 25km radius around Waterloo...  About Brussels, I don't have sufficiently detailed data to see if people come from the North or the south (the most detailed level is Brussels as a whole).

Thanks for your help.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
gotcha.

I would consider changing your advanced targeting options to 'physically located in the targeted area'.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

HI Kim,

you're right. Geo report is the first step to take. Could turn out, that people from the south of Brussels are coming over google but are just not converting.

However, google can only be as good as the IP-Geomatching allows them to be, if the users do not enter "brussels" or "waterloo" in their query. So IP-Geo-lookup is a valuable point to look at.

To clarify my example. I do live in Troisodorf, Germany, but my ISP is in Cologne, Germany, which is 30 km away. If one targets Troisdorf with a 20 km radius I would not be included.

Same could be true if brussels people are split intot two big ISP regions.

T

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

ummm... maybe geo-targeting in Belgium just doesn't work well because of the ip stucture in the country,

I know its not working well in Israel as well, do you have any local forum where you can check it?