1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

plurals in phrase match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have just taken over my company's Adwords account and so I am reviewing ad campaigns.

I have read that it is no need to repeat keywords in their plural form under phrase match, as this will be automatically done for me.

I have two keywords already running in an ad group  "Guernsey property" and "Guernsey properties".  However I am wondering if I should remove Guernsey properties (Guernsey property is in my ad and so I don't want to remove this).

Will this improve my CTR on Guernsey property?

Also, as it currently stands, I am getting a better CTR for Guernsey properties although the CPC is slightly higher.

Would appreciate advice 
Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sub m
September 2015

Re: plurals in phrase match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sub m great question!

You're totally correct that there's no need to include plurals (and many other variations) in your Keywords as AdWords will automatically match from the "root" Keyword so, yes, "Guernsey property" as a Keyword will happily match to queries for "Guernsey properties".

However, there can be advantages to having some specific variations in your Keywords because doing so allows you greater control.  You don't mention conversion rates - I presume you are tracking some kind of conversion in the Account? - but if, for example, you found that "properties" had a better conversion rate than "property", having them as separate Keywords would allow you to bid higher on the "properties" variant than on the other.  Of course you should also bear in mind that if a particular variation is hopelessly unsuccessful, you can add that as a negative.

Another advantage to using specific variants is that you can then employ Keyword Insertion in your Ads.  You mentioned that you didn't want to get rid of "Guernsey property" because it appears in your Ads.  If you used Keyword insertion, this wouldn't matter, so, for example if the headline of your Ad was:

Great Guernsey Property

you could replace this with

Great {KeyWord:Guernsey Property}

and whichever Keyword matched the search query would be inserted, so if someone's search matched the "property" version, the Ad would show as originally above, if they matched the "properties" version, the Ad headline would be:

Great Guernsey Properties

Note that this technique inserts the Keyword, not the search term, and the total character count with the inserted text must still be adhered to (as it just does here).  Note also that capitalisation is irrelevant in Keywords, and capitalisation in the Ad is controlled by the form of the word "KeyWord" between the brackets.  As shown, this version will create separate words using initial caps (which is usually what you'd want).

More on Keyword Insertion:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Hope this helps!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sub m
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sub m great question!

You're totally correct that there's no need to include plurals (and many other variations) in your Keywords as AdWords will automatically match from the "root" Keyword so, yes, "Guernsey property" as a Keyword will happily match to queries for "Guernsey properties".

However, there can be advantages to having some specific variations in your Keywords because doing so allows you greater control.  You don't mention conversion rates - I presume you are tracking some kind of conversion in the Account? - but if, for example, you found that "properties" had a better conversion rate than "property", having them as separate Keywords would allow you to bid higher on the "properties" variant than on the other.  Of course you should also bear in mind that if a particular variation is hopelessly unsuccessful, you can add that as a negative.

Another advantage to using specific variants is that you can then employ Keyword Insertion in your Ads.  You mentioned that you didn't want to get rid of "Guernsey property" because it appears in your Ads.  If you used Keyword insertion, this wouldn't matter, so, for example if the headline of your Ad was:

Great Guernsey Property

you could replace this with

Great {KeyWord:Guernsey Property}

and whichever Keyword matched the search query would be inserted, so if someone's search matched the "property" version, the Ad would show as originally above, if they matched the "properties" version, the Ad headline would be:

Great Guernsey Properties

Note that this technique inserts the Keyword, not the search term, and the total character count with the inserted text must still be adhered to (as it just does here).  Note also that capitalisation is irrelevant in Keywords, and capitalisation in the Ad is controlled by the form of the word "KeyWord" between the brackets.  As shown, this version will create separate words using initial caps (which is usually what you'd want).

More on Keyword Insertion:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Hope this helps!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jon, that is helpful and gives food for thought.