AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

please if i add negative keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

please

if i add negative keyword like : us
to my ad group
and than i enter keyword in phrase like : swimming pool

and than the user type in google : swimming pool in usa

dose my ad will show ?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: please if i add negative keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello

Your ads will show. Here's a practical example for you, I have a negative keyword 'blacklisted home loans', when I search using ad preview or in Google 'black home loans' my ad still shows.

So to answer your question, you need to have the full negative keyword in order to prevents your ads from showing in unwanted search keywords.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

It actually depends upon what match type negative keyword have you entered at the ad group level. In case it is broad, it will try to reduce the maximum queries around that negative keyword and prevent your ad from showing. If it is restricted match type (phrase or exact), then it will depend on how the query is being actually matched with the user query online.

See this screenshot from the help center for more details as an example:-

Negative.png

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I disagree - and think that the ad will not show since -us is included in the search term.

As Pankaj explains it does depend on the match type - but, as a rough guide, broad match negatives work as you would expect phrase match to work if it were a positive keyword - then, phrase is still phrase and exact is still exact.

This is why in the table Pankaj supplies on the broad match example only the word women is used - since you don't actually want to block searches that contain hats. In your example the negative -us would prevent any search containing us from triggering an ad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I disagree.

Look at another example, if you have a negative keyword in broad match:

-mens shoes

This negative keyword will keep you from showing for a search containing only one of the words. Here are some examples of which queries would and wouldn't trigger your ad:

Potential Queries:

shoes dress new = Yes
shoes mens dress new = No
dress mens new = Yes
new shoes dress mens = No
mens shoes = No
shoes mens = No
mens shoes dress new = No

4 out of 6 search queries would trigger your ad. And That's why I say you really have to be specific in keyword terms. Whether in phrase, exact or broadmatch. Despite the fact that Google does look at sysnoms,singular and plural forms, possible misspellings, stemmings.

The term 'us' is very broad. It could mean anything really. but 'USA', you can see that it's a location, and that is spot on for Google!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Looking at the question from a different angle: I would not advise to Geo-target using a country / state name in the keyword. This is a redundancy that can just confuse. (As you have noticed yourself...)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello I agree with you,

But We answering a question not making a recommendation. Negative keywords don't interfere with locations but with the search terms.