AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

please expain as this is all new to me what does 3.7mean

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

please explain where i am at 3.7 

Re: please expain as this is all new to me what does 3.7mean

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Almost at 4 position where ur ad is shown

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gary -

I'm assuming that 3.7 is the number you are seeing for your average ad position.If that's the case, I can explain where you are showing up.

If your average ad position is higher than 4.0 you might think that you are showing up on the right hand side of the Search Engine Results Page. (like the top right ad position). But that's not entirely true - keep reading! 

I've included an image of ad position on a SERP

ad position image.png

Some people assume that a position of 3.7 means that the ad is showing in spots 3 and 4, but 4 more than half the time. 

This is not the case if you have broader targeting, like running on broad keywords, have a lot of different keywords in the same ad group, target a wide geographic area or even run at different hours of the day.It also depends on how your frequently you competitors bids change for the same keyword.

It is possible that your ad is showing like this (for example):

2 impressions in position 1

0 impressions in position 2

6 impressions in position 3

0 impressions in position 4

4 impressions in position 5

2 impressions in position 6

to get an average of 3.7 for your ad position.

hope this helps, please let me know if you have more questions!

Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Display advertising is the average of 3.7.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
DIsplay average position is a little more difficult to decode. I run a lot of display campaigns on CPC and rarely use the average position as a decifiding factor because it is rarely reliable.

Basically, when a web page on the display network decides to allow AdWords ads to be shown on their site, they enter blank spaces where they want to allow the ads to appear. Since it is up the advertiser, and ad position could be anywhere on the page. However, if you are concerned that you are not getting enough impressions or clicks, you may want to increase your bids.
Good Luck!