3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

online_location_overflow

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I started setting up a campaign today and Adowrds automatically generated ad groups named "online_location_overflow_" followed by a sequential number.

1- What are these ad groups?

2- Why are they auto-generated?

3- Under these ad groups, Google bunches up a large number of indiscriminate keywords, even keywords that have no direct relationship with the ad itself (e.g. the ad is about "helmets", and the keywords automatically used by Google belong to a general list of keywords related to "motorcycle", such as "location + motorcycle parts". Why does Google automatically bunch up all non-related keywords under these ad groups? 

4- How do I filter this general list of keywords only to keep those related to "helmets"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: online_location_overflow

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Bob,

Hmm - this is a bit odd. Can you elaborate on the process you used to set up your campaign. I've never heard of AdWords just picking or auto-generating ad groups or keywords.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi PPCBossman,
Thank you for your reply.
I initially set up a campaign though Adwords Express. Google didn't offer me any other choice. So I did my keyword research and started to set up a couple of campaigns in Express. Soon, I realized that I had no control over the Search network vs. Display network. Google would automatically display the ads on their search partners. I found this unpalatable, so I switch to regular Adwords using the link provided in the Express interface. For some campaigns, Google offered the dynamic URL option and I accepted. Then I realized Google was generating these lines of "online_location_overflow_" without giving any explanation. I could not even find an explanation using an exact match search in Google Search. Looking at the keywords stuffed by Google under these campaigns, I saw that some keywords were not really applicable. In the end, I paused all those campaigns. There are literally, two dozens of such campaigns auto-generated by Google.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Bob,

Well, I suppose at this point, you could certainly take what you have learned and apply it to your own build. As you did, you can pause any campaigns that were created in your transition from express to adwords and then start your own.

I've never explored this route myself and can certainly appreciate your situation.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’